Trailer Design - Matching Trailer To Boat For Proper Support

kylep390

My XB2003 is the same way, just replaced my boards and still hitting the rollers. Spaced up the front 2 center boards, off the rollers now but my bow eye is way higher than the bow stop!!!!

GotMyAlly

Learned something new tonight.

When I reconfigured my trailer this summer, I did so with the trailer level. I set it up so the bow was about 1/4" over the bow roller. It just took one click of the handle to snug it up.

Fast forward to the other night after reading this thread. I went out in the garage and unhooked my bow strap. Bow didn't move. Had to really get under it to lift the nose off the bow roller.

That's been bugging me for a couple days. Been pondering what changed in my setup. Then it hit me. I store it with the trailer jack cranked all the way up.

Went back out in the garage tonight, unhooked the bow strap, and started lowering the tongue Jjack. With it topped out, there was probablya hundred pounds or more weight on the bow roller. I had to put my shoulder into it pretty good to lift it. By the time i cranked it about half way down, or about level, the bow was just kissing the roller.....just like i had set it up a few months ago. And i kept going down until i bottomed out the Jack, at which point there was a pretty good gap between the roller and the bow eye. So SCJ is right about the trailer flex, and it definitely plays into the bow roller gap discussion. I'm sure the trailer flexes more under a rigged and loaded boat than a bare hull, too. But just the angle of the trailer when set up initially plays in as well.

scj

If I owned a trailer company, my first sales call would be at the Allison's!

I'm picking up my new boat next week and I know I'm going to have to deal with the trailer if I want it right. I'm not letting that stop me from buying the boat as I know Boatmate is not capable of building it any better unfortunately. Sad, one goes in knowing that................

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

GMA,

I always loosen all straps when not towing.
When retrieving I wench right up to the roller, but the bow has consistently lifted about 1"1/2" off when pulled up the ramp, I tighten the rear first and then tighten the bow strap & turnbuckle, tilt the motor up, bounce the L/U and adjust straps just 'til the hull and trailer move as one.

Bob

CarolinaBurt

For me, the issue is that We've had to figure this out. What about the new owner that loves his newly acquired Allison and feels they should keep it secured at all times? They don't start here reading and have trust that the trailer fit is of the same standard as his Allison whether it's a $60,000 purchase or their first $6,000 used one. If the bow stop doesn't fit, the forces applied by the winch pull the boat into the trailer. This is one of those "buyer's beware" that doesn't make it to the new owner.

Maybe the flexing of the trailer is a Godsend....better the trailer flex in tie-down and boat transit than to transfer those stresses of ill-fitment to the structure long-term.

We all know the Transom, Stringers, Knee Braces, and Keel are designed/built to carry the entire boat over the water's surface. Add wind, waves, chop, wakes, lots of horsepower, trim - our Allison boats never flinch. Clearly the Stern is designed to support the entire boat - including the occupants, trolling motor, and all the gear forward of the transom. I doubt seriously that the Bow was ever built to carry the boat in the same way. I don't want the bow to support 20~30% of the boat's weight, I just wish the Bow Stop was just that - a Stop for forward movement and a better routing of the strap. The downward pull of the strap is such that torque stress is placed on the bunks or the trailer.

Several years ago, there was a video showing a XB2002 getting "stuffed" into a large wake on what I remember as being somewhere in Louisiana. The Bow folded and failed from the forces of high speed and water entry. Sure, the shallow gunwale/profile was part of the reason, it's a major attribute in reducing aerodynamic drag and blow-over/kiting. The transom and stern looked liked they did before the accident - even with 700 lbs of fuel, motor, batteries, jackplate, and gear. This tells me that I want my hull and transom to support the boat's weight, not my bow.

Why does the winch pull the stresses into both the boat and the trailer?

Thanks for all the inputs - this dialog may help others. Gordon

GotMyAlly

I've had more than one person comment lately "boy you sure haven't fished much this summer" or "you haven't used your boat as much this year as you normally do". One thing is for sure. Regardless of who is at fault in the fitting, it's the consumer that pays the price - even if it's just missed time on the water.