Trailer brakes

boater777777

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My lil fish and ski trailer is not equiped with brakes . After reading an article in towing today some states require them with certain weights as low as 2000 lbs.
Now I know that "BABY" with motor doesn't weigh 2000 lbs. but when adding fuel, a couple fishin tackle boxes,anchors Cooler etc we might be getting there. So I have desided to add brakes.
Where would be a good place to find them and how do you get the wires to the plug?
Oh ya and is there any other issues I am not thinking about with this prodject.

Rusrog

Are you doing this to get 'legal' as you travel from state to state or do you tow with a smaller truck that is giving you concern when braking?

Keep in mind that the brakes on most light truck & SUV's are drastically better than they were 10 years ago.

SLOmofo

IMHO.
Electric brakes are the easist, no need to install accuator. Use a Prodgy controller. Very easy to set up and swap between tow rigs. I use one in for my 3 tow choices.
Elec can be set to apply as soon as the brake is applied or can be applied by themselves by use of a lever.

boater777777

It would be just to stay legal I have electric brake controler already in the truck 2500 HD really don't need em for stopping just to save a ticket.

Rusrog

It would be just to stay legal I have electric brake controler already in the truck 2500 HD really don't need em for stopping just to save a ticket.

I'm guessing that there are kits out there but the $$$$ for a kit would pay several tickets. I have pretty bad luck but even still... I'ld make them weigh me. The way the mexicans pull junked out trailers around here... I'll take my chances.

patches

i kinda agree with russ. the odds of a cop pulling over a 2500hd pulling a 2000lb rig is pretty slim. there not gonna go through the trouble of weighing it unless it is obviously overweight and it doesn't sound like yours is. i'd take my chances. JMO

RedAllison

An XB03 with a 2.5 based motor, on a single axle trailer with 2-3 batteries, troller, 30 gallons of fuel, equipment etc... will weigh OVER 3,000#s "rolling ready".

Now, with a 3/4 ton pulling it you won't have much to worry about in most cases but in that once every 10 years "panic stop" you might wish you had them. :cuss

:at the bar
RA

96xb2003

i have surge breaks on my trailer, they work just fine , cant imagine towing w/o them , crazy *** california drivers, trailer brakes should be mandatory , without exception, you really dont appreciate them till u need them!!!

SLOmofo

I like my electric trailer brakes better then surge brakes. I don't think I'd have a trailer without brakes for long.

Not all Ca. drivers are crazy, but it helps. :laughing
Learned to drive in LA. :shock:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
My '03 weighs 2500 on the axle with prolly close to 100 on the tongue. My 2500 truck hardly knows it's there, especially with the camper in the bed. I've also towed it around with my trans am and have had no issues at all.

SLOmofo

I tow with a Lexus ES300, glorified Camery. It is front wheel drive so is lighter weight wise in the rear.
Having electric brakes means as soon as the brake pedal is touched the trailer brakes are starting to be applied.
I definatly would have surge brakes rather then No brakes. But surge brakes by design require the weight of the trailer to push into the hitch to apply the brakes. Thus the trailer is always pushing the rear end of the car during braking.
Electric brake controllers such as the Prodigy(sp) allow adjustment for all sorts of combinations and can be turned off if unloaded or backing up. I have one controller and transfer it to what I'm using.