Torquemaster Coning

hemi2005

I've got a '91 Alli GSE with a '98 225 Promax. I'm going to have the Torquemaster coned. I've done alot of reading on here about this and I am still a little unsure about a couple of things.

1) Should the point of the cone be even with the prop shaft or below and how far below?

2) What brand of cone is best?

3) I live in Fla. What is the general thought about Bob's Machine Shop?

4) Where is JC located?

I'll have this thing boxed up by the weekend and I'm hoping for some direction before I ship it off. Your knowledge and thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. :at the bar

white03

JC is the master and he is doing cone jobs again with his new design (at one point he sold his cone design and business to Tooter, who in turn sold it to Titus). I loved my JCs coned TM!!! It ran better and handled better than the SM that I have now.

He is located in N Alabama in a small town named Center Star. His number is 256-757-5718 One difference between JCs cones and Bob's cones are with JCs you do not see any external hoses, it's a very clean looking job. My 2 cents

Bill

whipper

#1 even is the norm. Some do it a little differant but even ussually.

#2 Bobs cones are great. Todd had them at Hydromotive also they would be great also if hes still making them.

#3 Bobs Machine Shop is great. ive dealt with them a few times. My cone is a bobs and my cowl is a bobs. Both no problems. Im sure someone has something bad to say about any shop. Just my two cents.

#4 Titus is in Alabama http://www.low-h2o.com/ JC is also in Alabama not sure if hes still doing them or has a web site?

Since your in Florida I would just use Bobs. That way you can always go back if theres a problem. One things for sure,tell them you want the cone welded on!!! Thats the most inportant thing with these. Tact or full on welded on. Tact is the norm. Welded they may not do because its tricky to do without warping something. In any case {no pun intended}:big grin You will be OK useing any of the above for this work. Mine was just puddied on. Thats was the norm but not the way to go anymore. If you can part with it for a while titus does incradable work like JC. {JC Trained Titus} so Ive heard. The way they shape the whole gearcase and the prep work is top of the line!! But really Bobs will also do a great job. If your were going over 100 with a 260 or 280 I would say Titus or JC. But with a 225Promax into the 90,s I would let Bobs do it no problem. For that matter even if I was in the 100,s. They do great work also. Its inportant you tell them what boat your putting the cone on and the speeds you expect. It might make a differance i dont know. I would mention it for sure though.

hemi2005

Pretty cool looking case, WHIPPER. I do recall seeing them before, now that you posted that pic. As usual, thank you for all the great info. I'll probably go with Bob's because he is a little closer to home. On his site they show how they do the case step by step. They appear to spot weld it, then fill with the epoxy. I'll let them know what I'm running. Thanks for all of the insight.

Brack

JC........is the only one that will do a "coned" case for me,......drives great and very fast

I run a 200 case,.....sporty internals

hemi2005

More decisions.Thanks Brack! LOL! I'll have it boxed up by the weekend. Iguess I better figure out which direction I"m going to ship it.