Top end

Promax225

What could you expect from a xb2002 Tournament edition with a 225 promax with svs on top end? What prop and setback and also how high??? Thanks fellas!

catfish123

Set up REAL well and with a strong desire to do it, my guess would be 100-103mph. A more everyday number might be 97-100mph. There are only a few guys in the owners section that claim to be running over 100. I don't doubt it, it's there to get, if a person has to see it.

Jimxb02

I have a tournament XB2002 that I don't fish with so I removed the trolling motor and run just one battery. The set back is 13.5 inches and prop 3/8 inches above pad.

The motor is a 1997 promax 225 with SVS , raised limiter , and sportmaster with 1.87 gears. My best top end prop so far is a Hoss hyperdrive 14.5 X 30 . With good water and weather conditions I run 98 to 100 MPH.

I believe that with more experimentation with set up and props the motor has the power to get me to 102 or 103 MPH.

Jim

patches

3/8" above at 13.5" back with a Sportmaster is not real high. Well behaved I'm sure, but if you wanted a top speed setup it could go higher

Jimxb02

Thanks Patches .

Going higher was my next change. Yes, the boat is very stable, good in rough water, and trims easy. Will be going up 1/8 inch at a time.

Getting to this point has taken a couple of years ------ had to put the lip back on that a previous owner sanded off ; rebuild the motor, etc.

But this project has been fun ----- learned a lot !!!!

Jim

suicidealli

3/8" above at 13.5" back with a Sportmaster is not real high. Well behaved I'm sure, but if you wanted a top speed setup it could go higher
Easy on my buddy Erik... Lol Jim is over 70, and still running a 100.. He is the man...... I agree tho he could go higher, but he drives the he'll out of it...... We need him to stay in the boat.....

Roy

Last edited:

patches

If it were mine I'd probably have it around that number too. Wasn't saying that has a slight against him, I know it probably came out that way, sorry Jim. Trying to let the OP know that it wasn't really a top end setup and it was flirting with 100 mph.

BTW, my motor is at 3/8" above on my XR2001:)

Last edited:

Promax225

Thanks guys, last question how much does the toruney weigh as to the comp?

THanks!

patches

From what I've seen of the boats hanging on scales, I don't think there's much difference at all. The way you rig it would be more important

jwill

Yep, I think the average would be around 75 lbs, but some tournaments weigh about the same or even less than some comps.

suicidealli

Allison Says average comp is 825, and average tourney is 900. My tourney was a lot more than 75 lbs heavier than my comp. I believe I have a lighter comp, and my tourney could have been a heavy one.. They were a lot different.

Roy

bullwhipjkg

My comp 225 promax 8 k rev limit titus coned modded sporty even with the bottom maybe a lil higher 14" setback 28 yamaha drag worked a time or 2

Earlier this yr would run 99.9.---99.8 consistently. Never made changes to try and get anymore out of it like the way it drove had a solid locked in feeling

Casey G

my tournament would run upper 90's with a stock carb 200 and a 26p et. as far as weight, it really depends on the rigging since most comps and tournaments are laid up the same. mine with me and no gas is about 1490.

Promax225

Thanks guys, dang i didnt no the comps and tourneys was so close together in weight!

patches

You hear alot about boat weights but after watching them actually hung from calibrated scales I've realized what Casey says is true. For the most part they're all about the same. I've watched Oran St. Marie buy SEVERAL XB's trying to find a light one. Despite many sellers claiming their hull was a light one or even a Bassracer layup turns out they all pretty much weighed the same on DSRA's scales

bullwhipjkg

mine is 1360 1 starting battery 1 lawnmower battery for trim nothing else in boat no prop no fuel no driver 15" mid section moddified sporty and 225 promax

Tim Bostic

This will be an interesting thread to watch as it develops over the next few months.....
Reason.......

I'm getting ready to "blow" the dust off my '87 XB2002 and rig it up for top end.
I'll document & take pics as the project unfolds.

15" mid, worked Sportmaster case, no trolling motor, one battery & minimal fuel.
First powerhead on the boat will be a slightly modified, horn 2.4 (**see below). It's the one I'll run the hardest & do most of the setup with. Once it's dialed in close, with good numbers, I'll drop the 225PM powerhead on it see what it'll do & then lastly, drop my 260 on and do it all over again.

It's been many years since I've tried to see what this boat will do, so we'll see if I know what I think I know about running some big numbers.

Oh yeah, when I blueprinted the boat a few years ago, I checked the weight and have the scale slips to prove it........ 805 lbs - boat only!!!! Darris built it for me with the intention of us setting a few speed records.

** This boat ran 99 mph with this motor many years ago..... I tried sooooo hard to hit 100 & just couldn't get it done with this powerhead, so we'll see what happens?

Last edited:

bullwhipjkg

tim need a 28 or 30 for my drag rite now it has a promax with a 8 k rev same motor that was on my 2002

pm me a sugestion thanks