Took a tour of the bushes

JR

We [my wife and I] were leaving from a beach on Black Creek yesterday behind four of our PWCs.
I punched it up to about 90 before backing off to enter a sharp turn I have taken my times before. We entered the turn and suddenly the hull started to hook. We are so used to the onset of it my Wife and I hardly noticed as I immediately started to correct it. The next thing I knew a we had a complete bat-turn, which wasn't that bad [except losing my Wife's sunglasses from on top of her head] since we have done a dozen bat turns together. We realized that "Houston-we-have-a-problem" when the boat would not respond to the helm as we headed towards a beach on the inside bank of the turn. We hit the beach and the nose slid up into some scrub trees which showered us with leaves/twigs. I climbed out to survey any damage [while my Wife checked inside the boat for bugs/spiders] and I found a good sized log jammed into the jack plate, stretched down across the the front of the gearcase [under the cavatation plate].
I managed to lift the engine and pull it out and a passing wakeboard boat gave me a tug that pulled us off a stump and two feet back into the water.
Except for a few gelcoat scratches [on the front hull] and lost sunglasses everything was ok.
I never saw the log which was black, 4" diameter and 3' long and stong enough to ruin the hydrdynamics of my gearcase.
I guess I can't blame the boat, just the driver.

I'll take the boat to Jack Barsh this Winter for a "facelift"
this Winter which is overdue.
JR

RedAllison

Man, JR you're proof that Allison's ARE nearly indestructible!!! :cool

Glad you and you're wife are safe. (lol if I did that my wife would STILL be cussin me, I think it's hilarious that you and your wife consider it "another day on the water" when you spinout!)

I think you need to name dat GS "The Terminator" you just can't kill it and it keeps comin back no matter what!!! :beer:
RA

Texan

Wow!! Glad you're both okay and that the boat had minor damage. Like RA, had that been my wife, we'd still be in the sh$%house.

In not so dramatic and speedy scale, I did that in a jon-boat on the Sabine River once. Keep in mind, our rivers here in east Texas aren't what most people thinks rivers are - save for a few, they are more like creeks. Anywho, I stepped off the front of a permenent barge into my jon to head back to my barge for the night. I himmed when I should have hawed, and wound up on the bank in a clump of bushes. Picture a stick steer jon, me in the front, brother-in-law in the back, and brother-in-law giving me the business for running him up in the bushes. He was fine. I was in the stickers..... He was the one that didn't have the Q-Beam a shinin up the river for me, and I got blamed..... Go figger.....

Last edited:

JR

The Allison hull is as close to indestructable as I have seen.
It was lifted up, sitting right on top of a very sharp stump, yet only got a little gel coat damage.

The ironic thing is that my Son just punched a 6" hole through the bottom of his new wakeboard boat 1/2 mile from where I snagged the log.
Jack Barsh's repair to his hull so good that it is invisible inside and out.

I am glad I had come off the power when I snagged it or else I might have sheared my sportmaster skeg which is much more expensive that some already need gel coat repairs.

whipper

Like father like son!:laughing Glad to hear you and your wife are OK! Id never get my wife back in the boat I think if that happen to us. Thats amaizing how that thing got stuck up there. Were ya in reverse at all or maybe while beached she run down the river and up. James

GeoL

Whew, Jr, glad yawl are okay.
Also glad no Badges were sniffing around, when the 'greenies' get ahold of this stuff.....
Thank goodness at no time were any manatees harmed or molested.
Geo

Yellowallison

Glad your OK JR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad

I've bumped a few under the water logs with my prop also in Black CREEK over the yrs! Never been in the bushes unless it was to wet a tree:relax:

Yea bring the BAT TURN MASTER ALLY on over to JACK... he'll make it look new again AND I'LL be sure he charges YU double :LMAO:

JR

Scott,
Can I take it to Jack as is or do I have to strip the motor off?

Is he going to charge me double just because I know you?
I wasn't going to tell him [smirk].

He might not want anything to do with the worlds most beat up Grandsport, being afraid of what the bottom will look like just a year or two after I get it back...

Can I get some Humvee armor installed before my next trip into the woods?

Yellowallison

JR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! you can take it to him with the motor on!!! Not a Problem at all! :relax:

I told him yestersday you might be bringin it and he said ..BRING IT!

also.... we agreed he might not charge you double but going to add on a few bucks so him and I can go to the OUTBACK CRAP SHACK one sunday and eat CRABLEGS compliments of JR...:LMAO:

JR

Scott,
I have to wait until after Labor Day to bring it in. We have a waterfront house rented in Welatka for the long weekend. That will also allow me to run it aground and hit a few more stumps before I get it repaired, no use to mess up Jack's work so soon after...
Thanks much,
JR

baitcaster

Glad you are OK - that was one heck of a story. Your wife was awesome through the whole ordeal, I think mine would have been carving a "FOR SALE" sign out of that stump before we even made it back to the landing. :laughing

JR

I shared with my Wife that some of the other Allison Owners expressed concern that their Wives would be unhappy if they did a Bat turn and then beached into the bushes.
My Wife asked "Why?"

K

Kevin from FL

Glad to hear all is good JR and most here don't know Susan:smile

Jack would be the guy I would have do the work for me, in fact, I have a couple of pimples that I may have him fix for me.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
WHEW!! Glad to hear you and Susan are OK!!

THAT ONE probably has your guardian angel shaking his head.

Yep, if it were Cathey the boat would be for sale.

Florida = Jack Barsh
California = Mel Morrison

I wouldn't take any of my boats to anybody but them. Good luck & stay safe.

JR

Lou, are the power problems affecting ya'll/SF or is it News Media hype?

Hope you get your motor out of ICU and back to "contributing to climate change".

Florida used to have a Summer high in the 60's before I bought my boat, now we are in the high 90's. Carrier and Trane pay my gas/maintenance bill just to improve their profits...

Kevin,
We need to arrange a local Suwannee River Allison get together since the RBR has died...Miss T would love the beaches and springs on the Suwannee, just bring your catcher's mask and mitt for the sturgeons.
JR

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
JR, we had one outage at work that lasted about a minute. I was on the phone with RedAllison when it happened! Other than that, all hype. :cool

Yea I am looking forward to increasing my "carbon footprint". At least maybe I can leave something behind for future generations. :laughing

PS they are all worried about muddy runoff from the recent fires polluting lake tahoe, I say let nature take its course. :laughing Still :furious about them banning 2 strokes.