Time to spend some money

jcoats3

I know it at least going need to be resleeved looking at the ports broke off some. If nothing else to bad probably go through it replace bearings and all might see about a little pick me up in it. Want to keep reliable for distance runs. Willmake 30 plus mile runs around here. Not sure total hours on motor I've put 70 on it in last two years. Just starting look at options this morning

jcoats3

Stock 225pmw/ oil injection removed. 93non ethanol. Merc oil. Thought I heared a noise last time out might have been it starting. Was running great me and boyjust cruise about 2 milesdown lake to fish cranked to go to other side heard a clunk noise idling throwed it out of gear sounded fine figured might hit somthing put in gear to go half way up on plane died.

Jr in Jax

I hate to see your engine eat itself. Looks like you might have passed a locator pin, which is a very common ProMax problem. I would either send it to Jay and have him send for resleeving or do like I did and just buy a Mercury 0time [new] factory drop on [I bought mine from Jaco's].
Good Luck,
JR

jcoats3

Would love to send to Jay and if can be repaired and work a little magic on it . Might go talk to the guys at Taylor Marine (mad efi ) they just down the road from me and see what they can do. They more known for OMC's but can do all. Thirty minute drive alot nicer.

Bobalouie

It can be repaired. My 280 looked that bad when it ate a reed cage and Jay fixed it no problem.

jcoats3

Taking the baby to the doc tomorrow, out at Talyor Marine. Let the twins take care of the promax.

dragmerc

get the merc racing bearings and don't get regular pro marine. i've seen cages break on them. pro sells the good merc bearings but you have to specify them.