Thoughts on a Center Steer GS?

whipper

Ive been toying around with turning my GS into a CC. i realize the resale might go out the window but thats OK it might be a cool project and Im thinking the handling would be better with a 300XS 15 inch. i almost never have more than 4 in the boat ever so this would give me way more room also and the rear lounge seats I would extend like an XR2002 . I would probably add a race hatch and a engine fairing some how also. This is a crude drawing from paint but might look something like this only all top quality parts. I would have to relocate the foot and brace the wheel behind from behind the dash with tubed titanium or Aluminium. I want to remove the carpet in the cockpit and spray in a textured floor for wash downs. Whats your thoughts. Ugly or not bad? o_O:rolleyes::D DSCN1748.jpg

XXXR2001

I think it'll be easier to balance without much weight but it's not going to be any less quirky in the handling department. Just enjoy it for what it is! I really liked a lot of things about the GS I owned. To me...it always required a lot of attention to drive. It was hard to just let it roll an relax. Other than storage, my favorite thing about those boats is that they can carry a ton of weight and still haul the mail. I swear imo my GS ran just as fast and drove even better with 4 adults onboard.

whipper

Yes i do love the way she is now also. Just bored and need a project. :D I dont find the handling bad at all but im pretty used to it after 10 years I guess. I used to think alot more about driving her than i do now thats for sure. Shes good for 93 most days way up hear at 2400ft with a 28. so most likely right around 100 at sea level. 97 was her best with the 225 just above sea level the one day i was there. 104 with a 260 SS when Brian had her in SC. Shes a good runner.

I really need a XR2001 or a XB2002 with a 280 260 electronics but really hard to buy with the dollar up hear so low again!! I should have done that a couple years ago when the dollar was at par!! dammmm

skewby

talk to silverbullet about moving his 03 to center steer, he loves it when making top eng runs. he just cut a slot in the dash so he can move it from center to side steer with a minimum of change.

Rick Propst

You pretty much just descried an ss2000 when my wife and kids are riding she sits behind me and the two kids layout on either side in our ss lol

whipper

You pretty much just descried an ss2000 when my wife and kids are riding she sits behind me and the two kids layout on either side in our ss lol
haha I know. If I lived in the States I would have owned a SS and an XR buy now not to mention a 280 or 260. Hears an example how bad the exchange and duty is now. To buy a boat thats 19000 it will cost me 30000 buy time its all said and done.:( That just doesn't make dollars and sense right now. :rolleyes::eek:

hirk

I like the center steer on my xb03 a lot better then side steer James even with a side slide. I think it drives better myself and like the extra room in the front.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like center steer. My xb2003 was and my xb2002 is too. Put a side slider on the seat base. Then you put the passenger seat in when you want it. It ain't a big deal to drive with the wheel not exactly in front of you. I don't make bonzi runs with a passenger anyhoo.

whipper

I like center steer. My xb2003 was and my xb2002 is too. Put a side slider on the seat base. Then you put the passenger seat in when you want it. It ain't a big deal to drive with the wheel not exactly in front of you. I don't make bonzi runs with a passenger anyhoo.

I have a side slider its awesome!! Best thing I ever did. She went from 45 to 20 lbs off set doing this. Centre steer i could have zero off set.. haha Also thinking I could get the centre of gravity a couple of inches forward right in the centre of the hull and in the rear seat extensions put 20 or 30 lbs in each side far forward to get the fulcrum more forward and down low to off set the 480lbs or so of a 15 inch 300xs. i was going to move my fuel tank forward to achieve this but thinking more portable and adjustability right now.:rolleyes::D Or maybe just thinking WAY to much!! :LMAO:I know ill but the motor first then decide what to do.. ;)

procomp

Another vote to buy a 280. Keep the promax for back up. Its like a new boat and you wont be bored with the extra power. Dont cut it up.

Kchanenberg

Yes i do love the way she is now also. Just bored and need a project. :D I dont find the handling bad at all but im pretty used to it after 10 years I guess. I used to think alot more about driving her than i do now thats for sure. Shes good for 93 most days way up hear at 2400ft with a 28. so most likely right around 100 at sea level. 97 was her best with the 225 just above sea level the one day i was there. 104 with a 260 SS when Brian had her in SC. Shes a good runner.

I really need a XR2001 or a XB2002 with a 280 260 electronics but really hard to buy with the dollar up hear so low again!! I should have done that a couple years ago when the dollar was at par!! dammmm

I hear ya on the dollar! ive been looking to buy an XB2003 but with the dollar here so shitty its costing me almost an extra 40%... its stupid. and ally's are hard to com by in canada

mikesufka

Don't wreck your boat. Are your crazy???? A Grandsport is what it is. Buy an SS2000, XR02, or XB02 if you want the center steer.

whipper

Just buy a 280 and go on with it . You got a great boat now , unless your thinking that a 300x would be nice on a new 222 GS down the road !
Sort a thinking that direction yes.

OK OK ill keep her just a side steer ya all talked me into it. :D As for motor we will see what the loto numbers tell me. A fortune teller said i might be coming into the jackpot and she told a buddy he would need gas for his truck within the week and that happen. :rolleyes: I would love the 280 im sure. I would love the 300xs Im sure. That reminds me of that Pat Benitar song. One way, or another, Im going to getcha getcha getcha. haha

ROBERT CROSS

Ahhhh......Winter in the GWN.....you you can tell when Jim's got too much time on his hands......knit some socks & stay warm 'til Spring. :rolleyes:

gmorgan

If you are for sure you will be keeping the boat for a significantly long time, go ahead and put the steering in the center. It will only makes things better when and if you buy the 300. I agree, life is too short to get to the end and look back and say "what if". Good luck.