The drama continues....

I/O to O/B

My 1996 225 Promax was running absolutely perfect. Then, this past weekend, as I was forward idling, the engine just quit. I managed to restart it once, then it quit again. From that point on, when I turn the key, I get one single click at the starter, and that is it. I've tried 5 different fully charged batteries with the same result. Ideas, comments, scrap metal dealers??

bassracr

I had a car do that years ago and it was the ground cable corrosion under the casing. Put a new cable on and that fixed it . That was after I chased my tail around trying to figure out the problem

SmallJaw

I'm old school but when I had an old car or truck to do that I would always get a big wire and jump across the starter solenoid to see if it would start. If it did I knew it was the solenoid. But, you can get a good volt meter and put it across the battery cable connection on the starter and the starter side of solenoid and have somebody turn the key. If the voltage goes from about 13 volts to zero you either have a bad starter or a locked up motor. The other's are right in that you can take the plugs out and turn the flywheel or turn the prop with the shifter in gear. That's what I would do anyway. Could easily be a starter or solenoid though. Bear in mind I have not tried any of the above on my XS250 and there may be something I don't know that would make the check's hard to do but I can't see why it would not work fine:wink

I/O to O/B

I don't see how the engine could be seized. It was run hard, then idled through a no wake zone for about a quarter mile and then sort of slowly coughed and then stopped. I did re start the first time, then same thing. I would have thought I'd blow a piston or whatever at a high speed and I'd hear something, but I've never been there.

njj502

It could have been on it's way to siezure during the run and the power from the other cylinders kept it from seizing...... Hard to say.

njj502

hahaha... so do all my dealers... just tell em like it is and if they aint a big enough boy to take it.... well..... ;)

LakeAnna

Well??? Did it stick or what??? Your having way to much fun with this... Hell mine is running funny now...

I/O to O/B

So, she's not seized. The flywheel turns so easily if i was back in my fightin days i could get her on plane with my hands. Put a fully charged battery to it again and again I just get a single click. Any ideas? Nick, you up yet?

h2oskiier30

Yep...either a starter or a connection issue. New brushes in the starter would probably fix your problem if I were a betting man.

LakeAnna

So, she's not seized. The flywheel turns so easily if i was back in my fightin days i could get her on plane with my hands. Put a fully charged battery to it again and again I just get a single click. Any ideas? Nick, you up yet?
That's GOOD news! :beer:

SLOmofo

Volt drop test will tell you. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=volt drop test starter motor&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQtwIwAA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry68G0C2Fyc&ei=OTL0Ubf1AeK5igKWnIG4Dw&usg=AFQjCNEDeQ85enGc4dt94tp95OWYUppHnw
1. What/where is the single click. Most likely the solenoid.
Solenoid has, positive battery cable, cable to starter and a small wire which comes from the ignition switch.
If enough electricity gets to the solenoid from the switch it should cause the solenoid to close and bridge the cables together. Now you should have power through the starter. The path of both circuits ends back at the negative post of the battery.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bad starter would not have made it stall in the 1st place. I would be checking the connections and the big plug of the wiring harness to start with. Then all other connections and grounds.

SLOmofo

Never say never!
I'm a mechanic, I've had cars towed in with locked up engines , loss of power and died, both due to starters.
One time as I was loading my boat the engine locked up, just before that as I was running down the lake the engine had lost power. I thought I stuck another engine and pulled the heads to find nothing visibly wrong. As I was pondering this I caught a whiff of gear oil. An upper drive shaft bearing had blown up and locked the input shaft solidly. There was a slight bulge and crack in the case.

There's a saying. When you hear hoof beats don't automatically go looking for Reindeer!
BTDT

Really, if you learn to do this one type of test it will find most electrical problems like this quickly.

I/O to O/B

I'm actually not sure if it's the starter or the solenoid that is clicking cause I'm by myself at the cottage. I did see the starter gear move up slightly on one click, then nothin. Gonna do the voltage drop test tomorrow! Thanks Guys