Techno-bling for old-school Merc aficionados, and general data junkies

Alli-drenaline Rush

Wanted EGT, CWT and jack-plate position information, but didn't want to add new gauges / boxes to the console...... and my motor doesn't have SmartCraft capability for CWT.......

Solution..... NoLand Engineering RS-11 black box.... takes a 0-5V analog signal, and converts to digital. So now I can get this information displayed on my console Lowrance :).....

EGTs are run through an amplifier to convert the mV signal to 0-5V, then on to the RS-11. Since Lowrance doesn't have jackplate height as an input, improvise..... so then fuel tank level, with a 10% offset to zero becomes the surrogate for JP height...... using this logic, 10% fuel level equates to the propshaft being even with the pad, 9.8% is 0.2" below the pad, and so on...... Oil Starboard represents CWT in deg F......

The only drawback (other than the cost) is the fact that you have to program the RS-11 with expected values at the 0 and 5V end points..... But that's ok if I'm a bit off, as I'm looking for trends....... and I'm aware that <400F is a little low for EGTs on this shakedown run.......

Next step is to program RPM into the Lowrance, and place it above the EGTs...... :)

ADR

Reactions: Jon

Alli-drenaline Rush

Hey Whipper I was wondering as well! Not hail, maybe just moisture from the stifling humidity down here:)

I really like the HDS-8....