Tach is reseting

JR

Spent several hours "supporting the Arabs" on the Suwannee and had time to watch my tachs intermittant operation. Once the engine heated up, the tach would jump up/down below 3000 RPM. Above 3000 RPM it would work fine. I know my Pmax has a 60 amp 2-stage charging system and it seem like maybe I have a low speed rectifier flaking-out.
Does any one have any better ideas? BTW the rectifiers have close/over 1,500 hours on them.
JR

fishnfireman

JR.

There should be another lead on that mtr for your tack..Most times just switching them will fix it.
I have been up all night so I might be a little fuzzy.....I think the tack wire is brown and yellow..anyway figure out which one it is. Trace it back to the 2 little boxes at the top back of the mtr. should be just aft of thge flywheel,,,,there will be 2 wires of the same color 1 going to the tack the other just stubbed out...switch em and see if that don't fix it.....

boataddict

the tach wire is gray.usually conected to the starboard side rectifier box.move the wire to the port rectifier box.