swapped to sportmaster

jcoats3

Just got back from river running new sporty lower. Had a coned torque master on before. Now when take off basic 2 person tournament load ,only had about 20 gallons of fuel it slipping bad. When Rpms hit about 3000 and shoot to about5500 for sew seconds then jump to around 6200 to 6300. If stay in it will grab some but slow getting to speed while slipping. With the torquemaster I could pin it to floor and it pull all the way and not slip none. Turnning a 27 pitch quad IV OT set 5/8 below. Wondering if the sporty has more room around the prop. Looks like alot more smut on prop on by leading edge of blades then use to with old lower unit. Can I tweek setup or something to help this. Thought of calling Hydromotive Monday. Never ran over about 55 today because wife with me. Thanks. Forgot olny have 11 inch setback.

Last edited:

jcoats3

No vent holes. Did have a tempest plus 3 blade and it spun up grabbed and off u went. It had the vents all out. This lower looks like it ventting around the prop more.

whipper

I read somewhere a guy relieved out the exhaust more because the excessive prop exaust made hole shot sluggish. This made a big difference apparently. Not saying this is the best or only choice for your situation. Just saying theres options to find results.

Might need larger dia etc... Different setup different props or options for existing props.

GotMyAlly

You can get an aluminum ring to hammer onto the leading edge of the prop that will force all of the exhaust gasses to go through the hub instead of over the blades.

jcoats3

I thought. There was something like that. Going today take prop off and measure and compare all points of the two gear cases to see what is different. Ether the prop shart not splined as deep or the sporty has a larger exhaust opening then the torque master. Getting to much gasses around blades it looks like.

jcoats3

When I ordered this sporty they said all come with ratcheting set up. But I had a sporty on a 96 model 150 pmax that was direct don't remember ratio. It was new on a new boat I bought in 97.