Surge brakes leaking fluid under the tongue

hooken203

Theres a shock and a master cylinder in there. Its all rebuildable. Meaning you can buy all the parts. You can buy the complete inner unit for under 200 dollars. To me its just easier to get it all new. Bleeding the brakes can be a PITA.

dragmerc

check the return hose on backup solenoid. also seen holes rubbed into brake lines. if it's an old trailer, good luck getting the 2 pins out. remove the snap rings and squirt some penetrating oil on them a day or 2 ahead of time, then get your big sledge hammer. if brakes are still working, i doubt it's the master cylinder.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a 1995. Brakes haven't worked since I got it a couple years ago. I put brake fluid in it when I brought it home and it drained right out. The steel line going to the hitch assembly from the trailer looks good and rust free. I will start soaking the pins now.

I can live without brakes since it is only a xb2002 and I have a 1/2 ton truck but I thought I should probably fix it someday soon, just because.

SLOmofo

Bleeding. Take a 2' or so piece of wood, metal, what ever and attach the trailer ball to it. I use the stinger I made for towing with my old camper. Use it to actuate the brake. Slip a piece of clear tubing on the bleeder nipple and the other end goes in a container. Start at the furthest wheel, then the next closer. Biggest thing is not to allow the fluid level to run out. Keep it topped off and clean any fluid off that gets on a painted surface quickly.

dragmerc

if it's drum brakes i wouldn't fix. drill a hole through the frame and actuator and fasten with a bolt. if it's rusty inside master cylinder, it needs replacing. around $75. if it's an A60 actuator made square where it fits over ball, there is a hole underneath for bleeding brakes with a screwdriver or small pry bar. most designs have this feature. push up on the tab to release after compressing.

hooken203

Interesting how different things go I have done 4 or 5 of these on different brand trailers never had a problem with the pins. I agree if it's a drum brake trailer I would go a different route. I don't think I would disable them. In a bad situation they are good to have also they make life easier on the tow vehicles brakes.

BGohr

Go to any auto parts store, get one of those little hand suction pump bleeders, unless you know someone like me who has a pressure bleeder, hook it up, open the bleeders, close the bleeders, takes 5 mine, either way

hooken203

Yep that's what I do now except the one I use pulls a vacuum on the fluid pulling it from the master cylinder through the bleeder like the mighty vac.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I will have to round up the parts. Probably will need new wheel cylinders too since they have not worked since before I got the boat.

I have a mighty-vac so bleeding them should not be too bad. Thanks.

dragmerc

you can change to disc for about $300 if you do the work. a new actuator is another $200. if your solenoid is good, i would just replace master cylinder. if you buy whole actuator only get an A60 if they fit your frame. all others have problems. also for bleeding, i have done it by myself by leaving the bleeder valve open and pump the master cylinder until fluid is solid, then make final pump and don't release the plunger. close the bleeder valve, then release master cylinder plunger. that trailer has worked perfectly for 6 years.
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/UFP-A-60-Hydraulic-Single-Axle-Disc-Brake-Actuator-with-Bolt-on-Outer-Housing-_p_309.html?gdftrk=gdfV23693_a_7c1698_a_7c7476_a_7cST_d_UFP34043_UFP34375&gclid=CMeem8Hf3b4CFaVxOgodZygAUw