Stupid rocks!

MWest77

No sooner than the paint dried on my skeg, I hit an underwater mountain at Pickwick. It bent and cracked the bottom 3 inches of it. Not sure if it can be fully repaired yet so I may be looking for a reasonably priced gear case for my 150 promax soon. I would like to have a spare anyways. I understand some folks are extremely proud of these gear cases going upwards of $4,000. You could get 4 used cars for that. If anyone has an earthly price for one in decent shape, I would be interested. Thanks guys.:help

fnshrmaster

Wow that sucks! I have seen a few used on scream and fly. Sportys are pricey even used. Watch the used lower unit for sale section on there. Good luck! Kurt

h2oskiier30

There is a sporty on S&F right now with 2:1 gears for $1200. Might be worth checking into.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be careful of rust. The drive shaft and prop shaft on a spormaster can become rusty because they are hardened steel instead of stainless like all the other lower units. The rust may hide under the water pump too. This leads to leaking seals and water inside the gear case. Mine is in the repair shop now because of this.

Allyfishing

Sorry to hear of your "stupid rock" mishap!! Not to take anything away form Roy, but if you want a sporty that has a new SS driveshaft and all new internals in excellent shape with the Allison mods already done to the nose and skeg contact Lee at Sanderson Marine. He has both of my sporty's that were re-built that way. He had SS drive shafts made for them. That's how he does all sporty's that come in with driveshaft seal corrosion.

But I would never hesitate buying anything from Roy on here also!!!

xb03

Man how low are you running your motor to be finding all of these rocks??

MWest77

I've only damaged one skeg out of the last 20 years of boating. Low water levels have made familiar lakes unfamiliar. I hit a sand bar just in front of the launch ramp at Sardis lake (unmarked), cost me a water pump but no damage. Hit an unmarked rock ledge at Pickwick last week, this time damaged the bottom inch or so of my skeg. Both times were in no wake zones going slow. Hopefully I'm done tearing stuff up for a while. Going to get a gear case and a bad *** fish finder with lake topographies and pray for better luck.

brotherxb03

you can get a stock 2.5 shaft and get it machined to accept the second drive shaft bearing. My brother has done it several times at his shop. Or if you don't have a high horsepower application it will work with just 1 bearing.

brotherxb03

You can get a stock 2.5 shaft and get it machined to accept the second drive shaft bearing. My brother has done it several times at his shop. Or if you don't have a high horsepower application it will work with just 1 bearing.

MWest77

You can get a stock 2.5 shaft and get it machined to accept the second drive shaft bearing. My brother has done it several times at his shop. Or if you don't have a high horsepower application it will work with just 1 bearing.
Thanks for the info!