Straps or Cradle ?

GeoL

Which support is best for an Allison 2003 in a boat dock, straps of cradle ?
I would think straps would be better for rough water and low water conditions.
Thx, Geo

RedAllison

G-daddy I'd call Darris to make sure, but just IMHO I can't see where straps are EVER superior to a full cradle for holding a boat off the the waters surface. I've seen straps put "width wise" under hulls (side to side) and I've seen em holding the boat up with one in the bow eye and one each in the transom brackets. But like I said, I just can't believe that putting that much pressure anywhere on a single point (especially for long term like storing) can be good for a fiberglass boat. I'd get a good hydraulic docking setup with 2x4's for even 2x6s custom fit to the hull. The LAST thing you wanna do with your seldom used rig is put a hook it in her!!!

Good luck,
RA

GeoL

Oh dear..... Darris should know.
I didn't think these rigs weighed enuff to get a hook from a strap.
Hell, mine needs a hook anyway, if you go over 80 with the top up she gets a little squirrely.
Geo

GeoL

Nancy says the cradle is preferred. She thought "wide" straps would be okay if care was taken on the placement and to not hang for more than 3 or 4 months at a time. The conversation sounded too 'ify' to me.
Think it will be okay, might be okay ain't what I need to hear, tain't worth taking a chance, eh?
Geo

RedAllison

NOPE, taint worth the chance. A hydr dock or hanging cradle is the only way to go for "on water" storage!!!

:beer:
RA