Steering Cable Replacement

I/O to O/B

Well, I'm now an Allison Owner! Got me a 1997 XB03 with a 225 SuperMag. A lot of driving and a strip search (looking for my "money belt") going down across the US Border, but these are the small prices you pay.

The boat has sat for 2 years and the steering cables are seized. I know a hydraulic system would be preferred; got a dual ram system on my I/O. But, can't afford that right now. The cables are "heavy duty ride-guide", and I don't think they're made any longer. Any suggestions on replacements? Aren't the cable lengths supposed to be stamped on the cable somewhere? The Hot Foot cable is also broke - I assume that can be ordered as a standalone part and then cut to size? Thanks in advance - gonna b looking to be propped up by you guys as I try to get this baby back up the pad!

jdb35

You might be able to find some replacement cables either here or on scream and fly. You will need 16 ft cables. I have issues with my cables too, but have them solved until I can go hydraulic. The hot foot cable is a standard throttle cable, I think 16 ft. also, but I am not completely sure about that. Good luck with finding the cables, if I can swing the hydraulic system, I will have a complete rideglide cable system for sale, but will probably be awhile.
Jeff

BigRedAlli

The original cables in my 1995 XB2003 (center steer) were 16.6ft and 17.6ft. The replacement cables came in whole numbers only. Not sure if a side steer is the same. The cables are getting very hard to find, ya just have to keep your ears and eyes open and hope to get lucky. Reynolds Raceing can get ya the throttle cable.Great people to deal with and fast shipping...:wink

DXDY freak

Well, I'm now an Allison Owner! Got me a 1997 XB03 with a 225 SuperMag. A lot of driving and a strip search (looking for my "money belt") going down across the US Border, but these are the small prices you pay.

The boat has sat for 2 years and the steering cables are seized. I know a hydraulic system would be preferred; got a dual ram system on my I/O. But, can't afford that right now. The cables are "heavy duty ride-guide", and I don't think they're made any longer. Any suggestions on replacements? Aren't the cable lengths supposed to be stamped on the cable somewhere? The Hot Foot cable is also broke - I assume that can be ordered as a standalone part and then cut to size? Thanks in advance - gonna b looking to be propped up by you guys as I try to get this baby back up the pad!
I would reconsider the hydraulic, by the time you add up to new cables, you'll probably be at $400- $500. For about a grand you can get the complete kit from Bill at Allison with the improved hydraulic piston approved by Darius. This system will make your Allison drive like your I/O. Been where your at and went hydraulic with No regrets. God luck. Kurt

roberwb

Search out the "cable luber" hear or on S and F. You may be able to refurb your cales w/it for cheap. Watch out though. I was running old cables and one was busted and I didn't know. If the other would have let go while flying I would dead or maimed for sure. :twisted evil

I/O to O/B

Thanks guys. I've decided that a few hundred extra is better than "dead", so I think I'll go with the hydraulic system.

22R

Hmmm 12 year old post ! Cables gonna be even harder to find now. Best of luck.

22R