Steering cable or cables 2003xb

JR2003xb

I am looking for a left hand or if theres a difference Quicksilver steering cable 17.5 or used set of cables. Cannot justify putting the hydraulics on it right now.

David Lanham

If your rig has the original dualcable merc ride-guide steering system then you're SOL. Merc stopped making them long ago. Guess you know that.

There is an option though vs going hydraulic:

Guy on S&F developed a process to adapt the UFLEX steering cable to the Merc Ride-Guide rack under the helm.

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?303739-Ride-guide-cable-conversion&highlight=cable conversion

Understandably, this individual does not sale the parts. He just shared his development process.

I just completed this mod on my year 2000, Prosport. I replaced just one cable. I purchased the 18 foot UFLEX with rack off e-bay, think it was $120 ish. You don't use the UFLEX rack.

The UFLEX is sure butter smooth.

The only CON is that the UFLEX cable has about 5/8 inch less travel/throw compared to the ride-guide cable. In other words, has less full left/right steer length throw. Really can't tell it though on the water.

Last edited:

David Lanham

I had a local machine shop make the modified bolt to extend the length two inches. The cable "bung" also requires modification, had the machine shop do that as well.

Word of note: On older Ride-Guide racks, the cable adapter bung is secured to the rack by two pass through bolts. Newer racks, like the one I have, the bung is actually staked to the rack. Luckily, I had an older style rack to use for this mod.

One can still use the staked bung but will require additional machine work.

Freebird

I hate to dangle a carrot, but I have a complete, dual RideGuide steering system out of a XB2003 where the owner went to hydraulic. I have everything from the wheel to the steering arms. Only problem is, I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it just yet until I get my motor situation settled once and for all on my XST18. It's smooth as silk and in perfect condition.

JR2003xb

Dang, i ordered the m86 cable and doing the mod, already made ext,piece hope the rest go's well. But let me know if you do decide please.