SS2000 Walk-on-Deck Strength

BadgerBoater

I have a question concerning boarding an Allison SS2000. People have mention boarding the SS2000 over wide gunnels. My question is: are the SS2000 foredeck and aft deck strong enough to be walked on?

Thank you!

BadgerBoater

I wouldnt recommend it, i have sled out on to the deck to hook a tow rope to the bow eye lol, and have laid out on the deck but never walked on it
How do you board a SS2000 Excel from a pier? How does a friend (wife or significant-other) enter the boat? One starts out standing on a pier. Where would a person place their next step?

Thank you!

Mike

skewby

the best way i found, just pull up along side to a dock/pier. set down on the dock and slide right into the rear seating area. you can step onto the top ridge of the top cap and step down into the rear seats but i never liked to step onto the gel coat for fear of scratching. plus its a big step down into the boat.

Lotus 50

No walking allowed on my SS2000 deck. How bad would I feel if it got cracked? I don't let anyone step on the sides wearing shoes. Also, I make them step on the 'ridges' rather than on the 'flat' part of the sides. The deck would be weaker in the flatter areas. I have some no slip cloth that I put on the side for people to step on, which helps.

My father was 76 when I bought my SS2000, and I tested his ability to get in and out before I bought it. What I forgot was that he would age. Eventually he was no longer able to get into the SS2000. I would up buying a more family friendly second boat. Now I see my 70 year old brother in law and a friend's 57 year old wife struggle to get in an out (both could lose 50 lb), so I may banish them to the family boat.

For the foreseeable future I can easily step off the dock and onto the driver seat. I expect when I get around 80 I'll either have to swap it for an XB2002 or give up going fast.