SS2000 Question (Theoretical Motor Q?)

Darth VMAX

Just sitting here parusing the Allison Website (loooking at the new XB2002 Console/rear hatch) and then I started looking at the SS2000.

Noticed the Engine Warning that all the 20' boats have "regardless of HP no motor over 390 lbs to be installed" With this, I am wondering what kind of performance a 4 seat SS2000 Excel would have with a 115HO/130 V4 Evinrude ETEC? The listed weight coincidentally is 390 lbs. I realize the Lower-unit would still need a cone/lwp job, but what speeds do y'all think this boat would run?

I noticed the 135HO, 150HO, 175 and 200 ETEC's all weigh 418 lbs. By today's standards that is LIGHT for a V6. I am surprised Darris hasn't upped the weight to 418 so these motors can be included.

Any idea(s)?

john4utvols

I would say great efficiency. Allison did a test with a SS and a 90 hp Honda, I'm not sure where the article is. I have always ran 280's or 260's on mine, but I have always wanted to try the 200xs.

RedAllison

My CRS is terminal now that I have 3 teenagers but I want to say it was during the very 1st rally in '01 that Darris had the "ultra-correct" white&navy SS that he called "Nancy's Demo". It had a 115 OMC on it, I want to say it was a FICHT but it might've been a regular carbed version. Anyway he had it regularly in the 80s & I want to say I seem to recall it hitting 90ish a time or 2?

He & Ms. Nancy both remarked about how they had then done a recent test with the then new 90hp Honda 4stroke. Darris was excited about the project because that was really the first "green" motor for its size & represented a turning point with the 4strokes. It was VERY effecient (I think that was the boat that yielded 10-11mpg?) but after ALOT of work Darris had to stop because he felt the Honda gear case was simply not conducive to any amount of work that would make it handle properly at the speeds he thought he could get it to on the SS. (If Darris Allison can't make your gear case efficient it must REALLY be a pig!)

There have been a couple of v4 powered SSs at the rally & here on the board over the years & they likewise would run 80s when setup & empty. I think if you were to buy a new, standard weight SS today, slap a Mercury 115ProXS with a sporty on it, spend the time settin it up: empty I think you'd be easily in the 80s. In "lake trim" with a couple kids, a full cooler, momma & her 14 stuffed bags... I think you'd have a 70ish mph boat that still got amazing fuel mileage & the thing would run like a clock!

Darris learned ALOT with the SS. It marked the end of the straighter, harder corners, edges & lines like those found in the XR02/01 & XB02/03, GS. As he told us, "The rounded radius & shapes like on the SS isn't as sexy as the previous boats but they ARE more efficient & produce less drag." The 21s & the 24 still under development also feature this. I think this is best proven by comparing the XB03 to the 21ProSport. The 21 is a HELLUVA ALOT longer, wider, taller, deeper & heavier yet hull to hull it's only about 5mph slower with everything else being equal.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
As I've said before, 115 Fastrike (eagle) 83 w/ cone, 75-6 w/o cone. I don't know how the 115 ho compares. The weak link on the fastrike was the lu--hopefully improved by now. If that lu is unchanged since then DON'T run elevated heights. SS was 750# with that carbed engine. Using the 10% rule, 83 mph / 11.5 gph @wot=7+ mpg wot. Sounds about right as I recall, 9-10 @ cruise.

K.Kiser

It'll run great with lower hp, but don't restrict yourself to harshly verbatum with the weight recommendation... Just stay away from the big 3.0 liters or maybe the 20" OMC's and you should be fine...

suicidealli

It'll run great with lower hp, but don't restrict yourself to harshly verbatum with the weight recommendation... Just stay away from the big 3.0 liters or maybe the 20" OMC's and you should be fine...
I agree about the 390lbs.. How many 280 ROS have you seen?
The specs say 400 lbs.
The ss is second to none for effeicientcy..

Roy

Lotus 50

When I bought my SS I called the factory. Jim Barnes said it would run fine with. 200XS.

I would not hesitate to run a 175XS or a 150HO

John Tiger got low 80's with a 115 Etec for Trailer Boat

My best is 89.7 with a lightly modded 150 XR4. This is the only place I can say that without being called BS

msethsmile

Funny Guy
In the world of comparable hp, 150pm (which was stout from the factory) w/ stock bridgeport pipe and timing was 97. Real hp for above motors? (150pm, 200xs, 175 pro xs, 150 ho)