Sportmaster LU with Alli mod

JWolff

To perform the Alli mod to the trailing edge of the sportmasters do they bend the tail while on the LU or do they cut the back section of the LU off, bend the little approx. 6"tall x 2"wide piece of metal and weld it back onto the LU?

I had always assumed the tail edge was rolled while the lower unit was complete but looking closer at mine while dropping it off to get an insurance estimate at the dealership it sure looks like it is cut, rolled and welded back into place.

Attachments

Jon

Supporting Member
That appears to be welded for sure. Is that some mild pitting 2/3 up?

JWolff

Not sure. Will have to look when i get the boat back. It is an hour away at a dealership right now.

Allyfishing

Mine has the ally mods and looks nothing like that. That one appears to be a mod from years ago when the larger torq tab was welded on and I believe that was done on the 2.5 liter sporty's

JWolff

Maybe I should throw this on BBC so Lee can see it. The boat was in Lee's backyard and did most (if not all) of the work on the boat. He should have the answer for me.

Allyfishing

yes, mine is different than yours. I don't have that much curl on the torq tab and is not sticking out like yours.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
That is definitely a welded on torque tab. Nothing wrong with that as far as I know. My 2.5 liter sport master had one welded on it like that and I never had any problems with it.