Spider cracks

reward69

Are any of you guys seeing any spider cracks around your cup holders and other sharp bends in the boat. The bulk of mine seem to be around the cupholders in the rear of the 21XB 2+2. I know there not hurting anything other than cosmetics but visually I dont like them being there. Ill get some pics later when I get time.

Here are the pics of the drivers side rear cupholder, the passenger side is basically the same.

Last edited:

SmallJaw

Are any of you guys seeing any spider cracks around your cup holders and other sharp bends in the boat. The bulk of mine seem to be around the cupholders in the rear of the 21XB 2+2. I know there not hurting anything other than cosmetics but visually I dont like them being there. Ill get some pics later when I get time.
Not seeing any in mine yet. I'll take a sure'nuff closer look tomorrow to see if there are some that are too small for old eyes though. I just don't recall seeing any while cleaning the boat up.

K.Kiser

Just lets ya know they didn't use any excess material - giggle I do.. On the real, I know what you're saying cause I'm a spider crack nazi myself.. Those little ones in non participating areas don't bother me much anymore though, because I'll bet you won't find one in any structural spot for the next 20 years at least...

I had a 17cc Bullet super comp several years back... Although it was a real well maintained boat, it was a light enough laminate lay-up to have quite a few little spiders in sharp contours of the interior... Being really weird, I paid too much attention to them wondering if they were growing and crawling... One day after cleaning it, I took a pencil and put a cross mark at the very end of every one I could find... After a few trips of airing it out over some moderate windblown chop, crappy louisian roads, crossing traffic waves and such I went back and studied the marks... Not a single one had moved even one iota... I guess it to be very true that some spiders will appear in thin areas pretty soon after new, then just not progress after that unless the boat is really beat on...

Also, alot of little spider cracks in curvy areas can be just a case of the gel being sprayed a little too thick in that area which gives it less flexibility... The actual glass fabric and resin is yet to know there is an issue..

Last edited:

jimmyb

My xtb-21 and xb-2003 and now my bullet 21xdc has them. Gelcoat doesnt flex and then it cracks

reward69

Yeah both bullets I owned had the same in a couple of areas. Not really worried about them just aggrevating.

whipper

Light but still strong in all the right places. Were you can save and cut weight is the only place youll find them. Common on any light hull from what Ive seen. I classed mine as no biggy. i have some on the windscreen were people get in and out putting there weight with the hand on the light windscreen. Even when I say dont put to much on there because its not strong there people still do!!:banghead

K.Kiser

Not that it's really important, but the cracks that you've shown are from being pushed inward... Probably from stepping on it, kneeling, etc... Still not an issue for me, if I was looking at your boat to buy it I wouldn't think twice about them..

Bobalouie

My XB02 light layup has them really bad around the rear cup holders as well. It bugs me from an aesthetics standpoint, but I rationalize it as the price of having a very light hull.

SmallJaw

I looked for spider cracks a little better this past weekend and found one on the cup holder behind the drivers seat. Not real noticeable but it is there. The one on my boat does not have a crack that runs up to the cup holder. My little crack runs about 3' long I'd guess and is about 1" from the cup holder. Not what I expected. Not a big deal at all but it is there.

ROBERT CROSS

I have a few on the GSE, both sides around the front anchor for the swim platform handles. Not getting worse but they still bug me. I've got some ideas to try and make them less visible, anyone else had any success in the effort? The other side has about six.

Bob
:confused

Luketrician

my 96 xb2002 has some spider cracks around the cup holders and some other places also...

not bad though imo...and I agree with the other posts too in regards to the reasoning too.