Spearing a wave in a XB03

brotherxb03

I went rabbit hunting in my 98 model xb03 yesterday and took the lake back home. Boy was that a mistake. I did not realize they had 4ft plus rollers till I got in the middle. I ate 3 or 4,good thing I had a helmet on. Still got a wet bottom though. If I went faster the hole boat, moter and all would come out of the water. If I went slower even trying to time the waves with the throttle and trim they kicked my ***. It was just me and my one beagle I have,he was in a sky kennel behind my seat. I had a 27 tempest prop,2.5 carb 200 with 14" setback and a hydralic plate. Anybody ever run in 4 to 5 ft waves?

Last edited:

JR

My Wife and I have run in them dozens of times and it is miserable and costly [I have broken 4 windshields now even though I have re-enforced them at the fasteners].
One afternoon, when we were coming back from St. Augustine, the tide was opposing the wind setting up 4' wide spaced rollers coming straight down the river. No matter what I tried, the hull would teeter on top and then surf like a surfboard down [with no power]the face until it speared the face of the next one. Not only does this break the windshield on a GS, it also slaps you right in the face with a sheet of water. We were miserable. I tried going faster, slower, raising and lowering the engine height. Finally Susan went and hid under the bow..
We also have run into the problem out in the Ocean/Gulf but have more room to change the bow's impact angle.
Tug boat wakes will do the same thing in a narrow channel.
As far as I know there is no "fix", except to stay home.
JR

RedAllison

lol you gotta "tack em". When waters that rough and spaced out NOTHING is gonna give you a dry ride. Tackin will double, triple the time required to get back too the ramp but at least you'll stay dry and keep yo chit in one piece!

:sad
RA

JR

Jim,
some of the problem we ran into was, the hull would "teeter" on top of the wave [even at a tack angle] and then swing bow downward since the engine was out of the water due to the hull's middle being balanced on top of the swell. It was sort of like doing a rail slide on a wake board [with the skeg out of the water]. Gravity would turn the bow downward [losing the tack angle] and spear the next wave. If we did not have enough speed to get over the top of wave when the prop surfaced, the boat would slide backwards, never making it over the top [getting nowhere]. We tried shifting the weight around inside the boat but this was one time where I needed a "fatter" wife.
JR

froggy

Brother,

Your only chance (may work depending on other parts of setup) is to run lesser offset (6" - 8"). Your prop will stay hooked up much better when going over center and you will not launch with excess bow height in the event you go airborne. Best answer = stay home!

froggy

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Lesson 1. Watch the sky. Went into marina and hung out for an hour. When my two sons and I came back to the lake, bingo 4-5 footers for the ss. We speared about every third or fourth wave. Took my hat and glasses off (I'm half blind). The boys (5&7) were crying but we got back.

Lesson 2. Don't race offshores on their water. Very rough out and for some insane reason decided to race this offshore. Speared a wave and broke the entire front 9 1/2 feet (top and bottom) off a xb02. Wound up knocked out, in the water. Six days in intensive care. Don't try this at home. Got a helicopter ride out of the deal (life flight), but don't remember a thing.

whipper

Ive taken in the face and man I never would have thought ya get smacked like that!!! My wifes girl friend figured I did it to get her wet? I assured her that that wasnt the usual method.:big grin James

fishnfireman

You can make it back without spearing. if you tack at enough angle, and be sure to pick the right one to change direction on..best thing to do is put your rain gear on-- get a good set of goggles and "batten down the hatches" Hope you have plenty of fuel and don't get in a hurry...cause your gonna get wet even if you don't spear one.
Also the prop can make a big difference...This is one place that a smaller pitch Trophy will make you a better boat driver. And a larger pitch over the hub style prop will make you cuss like a sailor-- if it's prone to slip or cavitate much at lower rpm----which is what they do by design-----

If your like me and staying on the bank is not an option during tournaments..
The best thing to do is get a longer deeper hull--- but that is not an option when you get caught out in your 2003....
One more thing after watching a few boats get swamped---I added the biggest auxilary bilge pump I could find... I think it is 2000 gpm. It's amazing how much water a 4 fter over the bow will put in your boat..Kinda give ya that (SINKIN) feeling !!

Last edited:

gaf11

Guys, I thought you wouldn't get wet in an Allison? Best riding rough water boat out there was the comments I've heard over and over. I hate to say it but after 3 Ally's/2 2003's and 1 2002...I sold my 2003 pro sport in the summer, cause I got sick and tired of getting my butt soaked in the spring time at Rayburn and 2 or 3 other big lakes and anytime you got some 2-3 ft actual waves, you got wet!. I went with ...I know a barge, z21 Ranger, but man I have yet to get wet and ran it last fall in some pretty nasty stuff that my Allly always got my tail wet in. But of course...it didn't get me there as quick. Man I'm getting old i guess. I wish I could tell you how to stay dry in those types of conditions, but all you can do is get on the edge of the crest of a wave and use the throttle and make sure you don't fall off or...U guessed it...here comes some serious H2O over the bow!

whipper

Thats OK Gaf I had waves comming over the bow of my 45ft Troller two. It doesnt matter what your out in even a tanker will take em over in the wrong conditions. Ive been out in 4fters with my GSE and never got wet.You can ride anything out in an Allison the problem I have is a led foot! When I spear waves I dont even relize that Im going over 30mph. If I was doing like the 25fters were and going under 20 I probably wouldnt ever get wet? When the waves are a dull roar though theres nothing Id rather be in!:big grin James

ALLISONMAN

gaf you need to check out some old footage of one of the bass events when the only thing keeping the rangers from sinking was the bottom!!!! Just keep out there in and you will fill that ranger up too!!!! Angle and throttle which is different in each boat will make the best of the situation!!!

Yellowallison

Now I've also read here on the ALLY BOARD from certified R.W.E(rough water expert)that if yu want to go boat riding - but think it might become a KITE flying day!! Itz best Yuz call a BUDDY who owns a RANGER since there able to cross OCEANS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfa-bfdZtKI

BUT yu can't forget yur GOGGLES and RAINSUIT for the occassional ALLISON pass'n..

:LMAO: :big grin

Last edited:

JR

Scott,
I should film some of my runs down the Saint Mary's. Then again.... maybe I would have a Marine Patrol waiting for me next time I was there, sort of like publishing the the date of the Ally Rally, River Ranch or Radical Boat reunion...

I tried to help a friend load his Ranger on the trailer at Lake Roy once and the ramp angle was too steep to drive the boat all the way up to the bow stop. We tried to use the winch+motor to make it up the last 6" and pulled the bow-eye completely out of the nose of the boat. I could have paddled my A-boat up that far.....
JR

Yellowallison

Hey Yeller that looked like a BBuy
YEAH .. those guys in that RANGER look lil HOT so when we decided to (((Bbuy))) and shoot lil WATER on thier FIRE... :LMAO:

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Great video YA.....gonna have to save that one for next time some ranger owner starts spoutin' off at the blowhole.

JR

Scott,
they won't let me register/login on any of those boards, did you tell them I was your friend?
JR