Speakers in a GS

Lightning

Does anyone have any suggestions on what size and where to place speakers in a GS? Pictures of an install would be helpful.

LAAllison

I put 3 way 6x9 in the piece of hull that curves away from the side--right in front of glove box on one side and just above the foot throttle. They angle a little and have air space behind them, Could put a real speaker enclosure in there if you wanted to work. I put 5.5" round water proof Sony's in the vertical side right behind the Captain's seat and the screamers seat. Been there for 6 years without problem. I'll try to get some pictures for you. I'm not real pickey about the sound quality as long as it's clear and strong.

Art

Roll Tide

xs03mich

I have a pair of pioneer round 6 1/2 inch speakers in the same spot underneath in the same area as LA Allison. My grand sport had some 4 inch speakers back by the rear armrests, but I removed those. I did made a bracket for my ski fi xm sattelite radio, using the drivers cup holder.

Lightning

Thanks. That was the same place I was thinking of also. Just wasn't sure if there was enough depth. Do you have anything protecting the rear of the round speakers behind the front seats?

Chiz

I put speakers in my GS, but opposite of what LAAllison stated. I have the 5.25' one's in the front, and put my 6x9" one's in the rear behind the driver's seat/passenger seat, just before the bench seat. It is a tight fit,but if you take your time, and cut just right, the speaker will fit just right. I did this to have more mid-bass getting out of the boat that way, in my opioion.

LAAllison

Chiz may be correct. I debated myself about that but the 6x9 wouldn't fit in the side panel where I put the round one. And I did put a piece of paneling inside so you would be less likely to damage the speaker from the rear. You could make a real speaker enclosure if you want, there's enough room.

Art

Roll Tide

Chiz

I agree LAAllison, and I have pondered making it an enclosure for the reason you stated, to protect the speaker. I actually think I may try to fabricate one out of plexiglass, thin, which will be plenty I think.

whipper

I use 4 6x9s. In the back there below the A on either side. In the front there in front of the foot throttle on that big square piece same on port side. My Bulplunk CD player is mounted in the glove box and the big _*** amp is behind the port side rear seat in the battery compartment with an Aluminum enclosure around it. The sound is Awsome!!! Even at full speed you can rock to your favorite go fast song!:big grin im going to hook up a MP3 AUX out let in the glove box also next week. Thats the way to go I think. sat radio or MP3. The problem with CD,s is they skip when theres waves! You can see 3 of the speekers in the pic the 4th is oposite the front port one in front and above the foot. James

Last edited:

whipper

Its nice because all the wires are in the gunnels and across the back of the dash. Just watch when your drilling your holes the cables and wires already back there are out of the way. There lower any way I think. The antena is mounted on the graphite port side on the dash. it looks like a little covered knob. You can just see it on the left side of the dash were it says Grand sport elite. James

JR

I have two 8" [round] double cone Sony Marine speakers on each side, under the bow, right in front of the hot-foot throttle. I also mounted two of the West Marine box speakers on swivel brackets mounted to the uprights inside the the side lockers behind the front seats where they can be directed at the rear passengers.
JR

Lightning

I also wired in some LED light strips. There is one above the glovebox, one above the steering wheel and the other 2 are up inside the storage area behind the driver and passenger seats.

Attachments

JR

The LEDS would ruin my night vision. I always shut off my rear pole light at night since there is nothing out there running as fast as I am. Since I have gotten older, I have a hard time seeing dark colored floats on crabtraps on moonless nights.
JR

Lightning

I can't see well running at night either. We just use them when we are stopped. They are tied on the switch for the light under the deck.

whipper

I like that led light idea. Sometime on warm night we just sit in the boat and drift for hours talking. Those lites would bring a nice ominaunce for entertaining. I have a Kazillion watt light that clips on were the mirror goes for night travel. I can see real good when the lights on. Ive been toying around with installing those little high power round driveing light they have out these days. The little hologn blur light ones by hella or pia. I though they would look good mounted recested into my wind screen. One on either side of the center ridge. they would be flush and adustable from inside the cock pit up and down. Also I was looking at a sport bikes lights and some have a curved housing that would mount single in the center? I have to think about that one some more.