Spark plugs

jaybluez

I went to pick up an extra set of spark plugs and the ones recommended were an NGK...$20 and some change a pop. Just curious if there was a 'generic' plug out there for a 1998 225 promax?

CommonArcWelder

Oh yea. The other reason I have never made the switch from the ol' JohnnyRude....LOL....I bought plugs for mine the other day....$1.59 each....Damn; $20 is unreal!!!:cuss:cuss:cuss

Last edited:

Jimxb02

I use in my 1997 Promax NGK --- B8HS-10 or in summer BUHW

My ECU is inside the boat , if ECU is on the motor you may have to use NGK --- BR8HS-10

I pay $1.98 at Autozone, NAPA should be close to same price.

Jim

jaybluez

Tell me about it Keith. I asked him, 'Are we still talking about spark plugs??'

I have never heard of the particular plug the mechanic told me to use. On my 280 it was NGK-BR8HS-10. This 225 is BUHW. My dad runs NGK-BR8HS-10. The mechanic told me to 'pick my poison, you pop 'em and I'll fix 'em'. (he's likes to use those scare tactics. I told him I've blown up 2 of dem sum beeches, ain't no big deal) My wife being there wanted the 'right' plugs so the mota doesn't blow up. I told her don't worry about it. She didn't listen to me and she's worried about this mota blowing up because of the wrong spark plugs. Thanks guys. I'll let her read this and maybe she'll feel a little more comfortable with what I'm runnin.

Last edited:

Rusrog

First of all go to Sparkplugs.com. They are pretty resonable and have some very good reading on how a spark plug works and other theory. Second of all I would dump that mechanic. He sounds like an ass and no good mechanic should give answers like that.

Russ R

jaybluez

I feel ya Russ, we were a long way from home fishing a tourney and I was just looking for a set of plugs and a new fuel filter, then he turns it into something like that and scared the heck out of my wife. Kind of ticked me off, our local mechanic is a hell of a nice guy. Thanks for the website.

NCLakeman

I went to sparkplugs.com and the NGK BR9HS were more than advance auto. And I did not have to pay shipping. If they are not in stock it only takes a day or 2 to get them.

rmills280

boaters world has most all plugs in stock for $3-$5 napa can get any ngk you need next day.

jaybluez

Thanks for the replies, the wife's ok with the cheaper plugs now.:laughing

max200

I have a promax 200 and run autolites in it they run great. A couple of people I used to race around with said they would give me 200 more rpm but its hard to tell without a digital tach. they are a lot cheaper. and you can get them anywhere. look for the crossover number.

mignumspeed

Hey try buying plugs for a 200xs ,$16 a pop and couldnt get just 6 had to buy 8 the total is @$120 and come to find out my motor had one odd plug in it from the factory i called mercury they said it was a 300xs plug the electrode extended alot further than the correct plug its a wounder it didnt hit the piston but sense i ran it for a year i wounder if a man ran a whole set of the 300 plugs if it would give more power because of the added comp the longer plug gives? anybody know or any guesses.

JR

I run BUZHWs in my '98 225 Pmax SS and get them from Advance auto parts for around $6 apiece. I got over 1000 hours on my last powerhead so they can't be too bad. I get 1-2 seasons from a set of plugs using Pennzoil Synthetic blend.
JR

Jimxb02

I have used Autolite plugs in my 1997 Promax 225 in a pinch when I could not get the NGK's the same day. They ran well and lasted the rest of the season but I still feel more comfortable running NKG.

The Autolite number is 4092.

Jim