Spark Plugs and Opti Max

RedAllison

The manual on my 225 SportXS calls for replacement at each 100hr interval. But have you priced the damned things??? :cuss I have near 110 on mine now and I still have the original set in it and plan on running them until they act funny. I keep Stabil Marine in every tank of fuel and run a bottle of Quick Kleen through it a couple times each year so when I've pulled the plugs they still appeared very clean and haven't shown any signs of a missed step.

RedAllison

With regulat doses of quickkleen I have seen 250 hours before the need to replace them.
That's all I gotta hear, fromda man hissbadself! :smile I'm more interested in what guys like Jeff see and get from their customers motors than what ol so & so says and has found through his years. 250 hours? Wow that's great. I was hopin for 150, anything over that and I'll consider it gravy.

nick, Quickleen is a Mercury product. Most dealers carry it as well as I've seen it at BPS, Gander Mtn etc... The bottle is only like 8 or 10ozs I think. Clear as water and it says it treats 72 gallons. I just dump it in one full tank though. Had to get an impeller yesterday at a local dealer so I picked up a bottle of QK as well, was $15 or so I think. Think I've paid $10-$12 before. Good for the injectors as well. nick don't quote me on this but I wanna say the plugs are around $20 a piece, give or take $5? :cuss

:at the bar
RA

Alli-drenaline Rush

My 2003 250XS manual says to use an NGK IZFR6J, and if not available use NGK PZFR6H. Check gap and replace if necessary every 100 hr or once per year for PZFR6H, check gap and replace if necessary every 200 hr or once every two years for IZFR6J. I get the IZFR6Js for about $9 each at O'Reilly.

I got a warranty replacement on a TM LU awhile back, and being new to Mercury motors at the time, the dealer conveyed Mercury Racings' opinion: 1) you use a new yellow o-ring on the gear case each time you drain or check oil 2) you run quikleen through each tank, and 3) you run fuel system treatment and stabilizer through each tank. May cost a bit, but when the amortization on a motor is at least $50 / op hr, the gas is $50 / hr, what's another $5 / hr for quikleen and fuel treatment to help protect your investment? Plus you're helping keep Mercury in business so that they'll be there when you want that next hot-rod motor......

Those Mercury fuel system treatment products have worked well for me so far.....

Also.......

"The pain of poor quality is remembered long after the pleasure of a low price is forgotten...."

My 2