Some questions to get me started.

18ftswitzer

If anyone could answer any of these questions it would be great.

1. Is a "chopper" prop a brand or a style?
2. What is the gains or loses of a 15" or 20" mid?
3. Should I run a top loader hotfoot, is it any better?
4. I siliconed my depth finder in and now it doesnt work, how should I mount it?
5. What are some good sites for boat and engine perf parts and accesories?
6. I assume I should be running 93 octane in my Merc 225 pm?

Any info is appreciated!

Rusrog

If anyone could answer any of these questions it would be great.

1. Is a "chopper" prop a brand or a style? Both. Mercury built the first and original Chopper props but now that style has somewhat been copied by several manufacturers, with their own unique twist, of course.
2. What is the gains or loses of a 15" or 20" mid? You gain a little bit of handling when you lower the powerhead down 5 inches. And the cool factor goes up with a 15in mid as well.
3. Should I run a top loader hotfoot, is it any better? Nope. Just cleaner rigging.
4. I siliconed my depth finder in and now it doesnt work, how should I mount it? I think that they use epoxy for those, don't they?
5. What are some good sites for boat and engine perf parts and accesories? Scream&fly, here and sometimes ByuBoys
6. I assume I should be running 93 octane in my Merc 225 pm? Yes, & good oil as well.

Any info is appreciated!

Hope all of that is of some help...

whipper

You can run 91 octain in a stock 95 225 PM. Run em back to back and see if it made a differance. I have and never noticed a differance. More folks will use the 91 at the pump because its cheeper. Tank gets refilled before the higher octain tanks do in most cases. There for the 93 octain Tank is looseing octain and might only be 91 by the time ya get it anyway? I always try and find a good buisy gas station I trust. The buisier they are the better the fuel. Doesnt sit so long and loose octain. My therory any way.
James

SLOmofo

A transducer emits a pulse, you can hear it as a click. Anything that absorbs the pulse will lessen the signal. Silicon is soft. Epoxie with out air pockets is what you want. Some people just lay the transducer in the well with a little water covering the base. Me, I put it on the outside of the hull, unobstructed view..

Rusrog

What about a offshore mid, I assume this changes the power curve other than just sounding different?
Nope. It's pretty much the sound difference. Maybe a SLIGHT difference out of the gate due to less back pressure. BUt you'll probably have to get a stop watch to tell.

FlatOutAlly

Put the best gas in it you can buy. Minor expense in the long (or short) run. Trust me. Don't try to skimp with 91 when 93 is just a different button the pump for 10 or even 20 cents a gallon. Do the math... Whipper apparently hasn't blown a Promax yet, let alone a nic motor. Call me a prophet, but it WILL happen. soon. Sorry, James. :big grin

Rusrog

Up thar in the great frozen north, they make not have all of this ethanol like we got down here in the south. Down here, if it's got more than about a 130#'s of compression... It gets 93 octane. It's cheap insurance.

spanky

91 is plenty octane for a stock head promax. i know of someone who ran 89 for 20 hrs on his promax because he didn't know better and the motor is fine. mercury's broshure back in 2005 when they still made the 280 showed a minimum of 91 octane and that motor came with 150lbs of compression at sea level. you can run 160-165lbs on fresh 93 any day. would i do it on 3month old gas, NOT.

Lotus 50

I never understood why octane would diminish with age, but that theory is common. Wouldn't the stuff that evaporates the easiest be the easiest to ignite.