Softouch Boat Cover

ARLIN

I learned from Bill at Allison Boats that they are now using Softouch material for their XB Allison boat covers. When I asked about Sunbrella again for my 21 XTB, Bill said that recent price increases now make the Allison Sunbrella cover nearly as much as the same Allison XTB cover with the newer Softouch.

Softouch comes in 9 colors.

Wondering if the Softouch is any more or less mildew prone inside and out than the traditional Sunbrella. Any other pros and/or cons going Softouch.

Also learned from Bill that although the Softouch is soft all over on the underside, you still get the reinforcements with the Allison covers similar to previous with the Sunbrella material.

Brother Glenn at RR Marine commented that they use 6 oz Acrylic for larger boats such as pontoons due to the lower weight than Sunbrella. Said it would take a hefty guy to toss a Sunbrella cover up on some of the larger boats.

RedAllison

I think Softouch is what my cover is. It was made for my boat by Mrs. Linda Owen's sister there at her marina. It's far and away the best cover I've ever owned. It's soft on the underside as a baby's bottom and is "armored/reinforced" on wear areas like the troller and console tops. I'm sure I could tow with it but I just don't like that idea, that's tough on a cover and I probably would've asked for triple stitching if I was going to tow with it. ANY cover will hold dust/dirt and it then becomes a buffer atop bare gelcoat. :surprised

The outside is waterproof, only place it will "leak" is if water sits on a seam and even then it only seeps slowly. I've never noticed it mildewing, even after sitting in the back of my Avalanche when wet for a few days. (That's a virtual green house for growth if left with the plastic shell covers on and the gate up in the sun on a warm day! Smells like hell if I don't open the gate once a day, yet the cover has never stunk or held that smell.)

My cover is tan outside and the whole underside is the white, soft cotton padding. I do tow with it between my storage bay and my house, but it's only across town maybe 5 miles and I don't exceed 45mph. It's never so much as scratched the wax off, much less damaged anything. I also have a motor hood made of the same material and it hasn't scratched the big black cowl of my 225XS. I use it as a tote sack for the cover usually as well.

Good luck,
RA

ARLIN

I think Softouch is what my cover is. It was made for my boat by Mrs. Linda Owen's sister there at her marina. It's far and away the best cover I've ever owned. It's soft on the underside as a baby's bottom and is "armored/reinforced" on wear areas like the troller and console tops. I'm sure I could tow with it but I just don't like that idea, that's tough on a cover and I probably would've asked for triple stitching if I was going to tow with it. ANY cover will hold dust/dirt and it then becomes a buffer atop bare gelcoat. :surprised

The outside is waterproof, only place it will "leak" is if water sits on a seam and even then it only seeps slowly. I've never noticed it mildewing, even after sitting in the back of my Avalanche when wet for a few days. (That's a virtual green house for growth if left with the plastic shell covers on and the gate up in the sun on a warm day! Smells like hell if I don't open the gate once a day, yet the cover has never stunk or held that smell.)

My cover is tan outside and the whole underside is the white, soft cotton padding. I do tow with it between my storage bay and my house, but it's only across town maybe 5 miles and I don't exceed 45mph. It's never so much as scratched the wax off, much less damaged anything. I also have a motor hood made of the same material and it hasn't scratched the big black cowl of my 225XS. I use it as a tote sack for the cover usually as well.

Good luck,
RA
Thanks for the information.

Recall Darris telling me to take my main cover along in case of a macho thunderstorm. Recall wife Lois getting under it when we got caught out one time on Watts Bar--I had my sunglasses strapped on tight and was holding a towel tightly around my head to keep the B/Bs out of my eyes.

P.S. Sad about Tony Reynolds. Recall he and Glenn worked together a good bit over the years during some races, traded Mercury engines back and forth.