Slowest Allison?

Speedman

I once saw an article with a 90 hp suzuki on an A-boat doing like 64 mph, Any guys on this board running a 150 or smaller? what kind of speeds can you get from a 150? Gas is killing me all around and I am considering losing the 225 or at least maybe switching it to something more economical. I own the fastest, best made boat around and I don't care about speed any more! It is still the best riding boat I have ever owned and I wonder if I down size, what my results will be. Either that or I sell it and buy a pontoon boat!!!!!!!!!ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mxzx

Just put an old 2.0l 150 on my new to me Grandsport. Will let you know in a few weeks how it runs, I will be happy with 70mph....

Blue Gray in PA

I have a 2.5L 150 HP Mariner that I pulled last spring. It pushed my XTB to 75MPH on GPS with one passenger and full tourney load and tank of gas. I needed more speed and got that with the 280. Anyone looking for a 150, let me know.

Lotus 50

No better boat than an Ally to go fast with light power.

SS2000 numbers:
John Tiger hit 80 in an SS2000 for Trailer Boat with a 115 Ficht
Mark Smiley hit 97 with a lightly modified 150 Promax
I'm around 85 with a 150 XR4
There's another 115 powered SS2000 at 71

XB2003 numbers from the Owners Section:

90 mph w/150 Promax
83.7 with Yamaha 150 TRP
70 with Merc 150 EFI
70 with Merc 175
70 with Merc 150
Low 70's with 175 Optimax

Get a 175XS, swap out the lower unit for a 1.75 Sporty, and go fast with no gas.

RedAllison

Even at $4 a gallon you can buy ALOT of gas for what it would cost you to buy/trade for a new DFI 150/175. But if you do buy a new DFI your best bet is to cone the case and have hard mounts put on the motor (which will also maximize speed AND fuel mileage, remember the faster you go with the same combo the better your mileage will be). On just about any of them that's an easy 5mph bolt on and the boat drives MUCH better without dragging all that extra gearcase through the water! I know on Dennis Kenny's 21 with his stock cased 175 Opti the boat runs 70-71gps like clockwork. I can't help but think the same motor with a cone and on an 03 would scare the hell out of 80gps. That motor also SIPS fuel, I think he burned 4 gallons during 3-4 days of fishing on Lake Fork back in March, I burned like 7 (made a few trips down the lake). By comparison I think Bill "Texan" Parker in his 260/03 had to fill up after the 2nd or 3rd day.

I get ASTOUNDING fuel mileage with my 225SportXS on my 2+2 if I keep the needle under 5K, I can only imagine an 03 with a 150 Opti or 175XS would get nearly 10mpg at max cruise with a tall prop. :at the bar

However I still think your cheapest and best route is to get a tall prop and keep your foot OUT of the 225 tho. I used to could get in the 6s with my 03/225SS if I kept it in the low/mid 4s on the tach with a 27" or better inch wheel. Slap a 30 on it and keep it under 5k and I bet you'd surprise yourself how good the mileage is with your current setup. Even in the 5-6mpg range your STILL 2-3Xs better than the competition and obviously faster.

Yet on the other hand I own 2 DFIs (the 225SportXS on my 21 and a 150DFI Erude on my deckboat) and besides sipping fuel when under 5k the damned things seem to MAKE oil like camel jockies. In fact I've got 35 hours on my 225 Sporty and I've only bought oil 1ce since buying the boat in August with a full tank and an extra 2.5gal jug of Prem. Plus. Checking oil on the DFIs is like a monthly procedure instead of every fill up. It takes awhile just to burn a gallon much less a 3 gallon tank! :cuss

I'm averaging 4 fishing trips between fill ups now and even then I've yet to get my 36 gallon tank below the 1/4 of a tank mark, many times it's still got half a tank.
RA

ps
Pretty much ANY Aboat gets BETTER mileage than a pontoon! So DON'T get drastic here now...

merc2five

xb2003/promax150SS/34cc heads
worked 28 yammadrag saw 90.2 in 2 of 4 passes
26 mazco worked chopper saw consistent 82.3 to 82.7

now my fav all around is a 24 drag powertech. nice holeshot w/ fishin load & sees 75 to 77
fuel consumption is surprising w/ load & awesome light

suicidealli

run a big et prop. i run a 32x15 1/4 four blade copy. 3500 rpm's @ 50 mph get almost
4 mpg, with a 260.. just don't stand in it.. i'm feeling your pain with gas!!!!!!!
i'm ready to put the old 175 on... it would run mid 80's no problem..

bassracer

the Honda outboard catalogue shows a 90 hp on an ss2000 - no speeds mentioned but I would bet 6 mpg+ gas mileage

Lotus 50

Trailer Boat SS2000 w/115 Ficht
12.8 mpg at minimum planing speed, 19.8 mph
OK, none of us can go that slow, except when pulling toys
53 mph it was over 10 mpg
6.8 mpg at 75 mph

I bet those figures were with the 30" prop
They 'only' got 76.2 mph with a 26 Laser

It takes a lot of fuel to pay for a new DFI engine.

boataddict

i have been itching for a 90 or 115 merc on the 02 just to see what happens.wouldnt mind having one as a back up:smile

tekajo

Does anybody know how much better fuel economy with the new Brucato ACU?

Darth VMAX

If you are looking at a 115 or 90 go with the ETEC, they are the fastest motor in both categories. I think a 115 ETEC on a 4 seat SS2000 would be a sweet little play-boat that could hurt a lot of feelings (both boats and gas pumps).

Last edited:

Texan

By comparison I think Bill "Texan" Parker in his 260/03 had to fill up after the 2nd or 3rd day.
In my defense, I came to the lake with less than a full tank of fuel. It is hard for me not to stand on it when I can. We'll go this week with a full tank, and I doubt I'll use much fuel/oil. If I keep the RPMs down under 3500-4000, I can go for what seems like forever between trips to the gas pump. I'll have Junior with me this week, so I won't be as apt to crank her up.

I would like to get better fuel milage, but the cost of changing over to something more fuel efficient than my 260 far outweigh the cost of fuel, even at $4 a gallon. Everything is paid for, so if I don't go, I don't burn fuel. It don't kill me not to go every weekend.

R

Redding XB21

RA has the right idea, all ya have to do to get great mileage is to keep the foot out of it! We fished Clear Lake for 2 days & I used about 5/8 tank of gas. We ran the length & width from Cache Creek to Rodman Slough, Lakeport Keys to the Oaks Keys!
Most of the time I kept it about 4200-4600. Well, I tried to.:banghead. The water was too perfect and I blew it. 5800 like now and I still did ok on fuel usage. I noticed that once ya get it up and running, the throttle isn't burried to maintain the speed :confused: so I guess that I wasn't using WOT all the time. Have you noticed the mileage figures on the other boat tested in BWB that has the test of the 225 XB21? I've been comparing back issue mileage on other boats A boat #1

Last edited by a moderator:

SLOmofo

RA has the right idea, all ya have to do to get great mileage is to keep the foot out of it! We fished Clear Lake for 2 days & I used about 5/8 tank of gas. We ran the length & width from Cache Creek to Rodman Slough, Lakeport Keys to the Oaks Keys!
Most of the time I kept it about 4200-4600. Well, I tried to.:banghead. The water was too perfect and I blew it. 5800 like now and I still did ok on fuel usage. I noticed that once ya get it up and running, the throttle isn't burried to maintain the speed :confused: so I guess that I wasn't using WOT all the time. Have you noticed the mileage figures on the other boat tested in BWB that has the test of the 225 XB21? I've been comparing back issue mileage on other boats A boat #1

With all that running , did you catch any fish?

R

Redding XB21

yup just-a-catchin & a-cullin. No toads but good fish. One spot, 3 keepers in 5 casts:beer: Kieth said What the---- give me one of those senkos.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Lotus--
The 'slightly modified' 150 PM ss on the SS had a stock 2.4 tuner, that's it.

Same boat ran 83/ stock 115 Johnson Fastrike/nosecone. Suspect E-tec would be comparable. Ss was 747#. Warning: I assume the new E-tec has the same LU as the fastrikes. It crumbled at high propshaft heights. Major hassle. Normal non-nosecone heights subtract 5 mph on top end.

RA--
10 mpg is gettin it.

Anecdotal evidence--buddy went from 150 merc to 150 opti (on an Alumacraft) and claims he doubled his mpg!

Is this bogus? 115 DFI @ 4000 w/ 30 wheel and 2:1s would calculate 50+ mph @ 10 mpg.

Last edited: