Skid Planer combined with foil

Darth VMAX

My XB2002/VMAX doesn't have either the skid-planer or a foil on the motor.

Do y'all run both in combination or do you run one or the other?

Bobalouie

Mine uses both, a Johnson foil on the motor and a home made skid planer under the jackplate that directs water straight to the Johnson foil.

I have an Allison foil I would sell if you want to try one.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

Thanks for the offer. I will contemplate it. Do you know IF you were to just go with one, which one would you go with and why?

Thanks

bassracr

Thanks for the offer. I will contemplate it. Do you know IF you were to just go with one, which one would you go with and why?

Thanks
If I had to pick one I guess the skid planer to keep your jack plate from tryin to dig a hole in the water..also helps keep water from rolling over the back coming off plane But really no reason not to have both . I like being able to run on plane at night at a much slower speed . Takes little throttle to take off . Lots of benefits to that setup in my opinion ... I have a "homemade plate " similar to the skid planer I had mounted first.. I really liked the benefits mentioned . I later added the foil and it all worked even better .the two pieces work great together , and really makes it a different boat getting on ,and coming off plane

Last edited:

catfish123

I loved just the Allison foil attached to the gearcase...........it made a WORLD of difference on holeshot............bow did not raise up near as much. It's well worth the money.

LakeAnna

I did both and would have to say they are well worth it. Like Bob said the foil does wonders getting it out of the gate.
The skid planer I was skeptical of but it's a nice addition.
Biggest bang for your buck would go to the foil...

allimax

If I had to pick one it would definitely be the foil on the cavitation plate
This is something here I didn't know and simple but great info. What I don't get is why there's tons of pics on here of the skid planer installed but I don't recall ever seeing a good pic of the foil installed. Anyone care to post a few?:confused:

F2008

My XB2002/VMAX doesn't have either the skid-planer or a foil on the motor.

Do y'all run both in combination or do you run one or the other?
I'm running both. Tough to choose which I could do without but contrary to the others I think if I had to choose one over the other it would be the skid planer. By itself it helped the hole shot immensely, I can get, and run, on plane at ridiculously low speeds and it all but eliminated the "deck wash" if I set it down to quickly. Then, put the foil on it and hole shot is just super quick.

This is something here I didn't know and simple but great info. What I don't get is why there's tons of pics on here of the skid planer installed but I don't recall ever seeing a good pic of the foil installed. Anyone care to post a few?:confused:

allimax

I'm running both. Tough to choose which I could do without but contrary to the others I think if I had to choose one over the other it would be the skid planer. By itself it helped the hole shot immensely, I can get, and run, on plane at ridiculously low speeds and it all but eliminated the "deck wash" if I set it down to quickly. Then, put the foil on it and hole shot is just super quick.

Leave it to Don, that guy's got some pictures! I'll agree with the deck wash and it did help with the slow speeds some. When the lake gets heavy with traffic I'd like to go slower sometimes though. :mad Guess it's time to add a foil, at least the Allison one doesn't look totally stupid like the other brands.

whipper

NICE motors Brack & Bass Racer!!! i wont run mine without the foil. Ive tried back to back with and without same day when I did an impeller. Was out with it on and went home to change impeller. {have to take 4-5min taking off to drop case} I then went back to the lake to test the new impeller and see what it felt like with it off as it had been years since I tryed it off. I cut my day shot just to go back home and put the foil back on right away. It feels that much better on. i want to try the cav plate or make one also one day.

When I put a cav plate on i want to put an exercise ball in the cavity also. Having balls in the setback is another thing I wont run without. Night and day.

Darth VMAX

NICE motors Brack & Bass Racer!!! i wont run mine without the foil. Ive tried back to back with and without same day when I did an impeller. Was out with it on and went home to change impeller. {have to take 4-5min taking off to drop case} I then went back to the lake to test the new impeller and see what it felt like with it off as it had been years since I tryed it off. I cut my day shot just to go back home and put the foil back on right away. It feels that much better on. i want to try the cav plate or make one also one day.

When I put a cav plate on i want to put an exercise ball in the cavity also. Having balls in the setback is another thing I wont run without. Night and day.
you got me confused (that's pretty easy). When you say cav plate. You mean the skid planer? And does the ball assist in planing out too, or just at rest? I can see how you 03 guys can use the balls since most of you run 14 inch set-back. But I am not sure if it's worth it with 10 inch or less.

Good stuff guys. Thanks

whipper

you got me confused (that's pretty easy). When you say cav plate. You mean the skid planer? And does the ball assist in planing out too, or just at rest? I can see how you 03 guys can use the balls since most of you run 14 inch set-back. But I am not sure if it's worth it with 10 inch or less.

Good stuff guys. Thanks
:confused: Yes I meant skid planer when I say Cav plate. It was 3am.:confused

The balls make it so you dont squat as much at take off and plain faster because the hull starts from a more buoyant position also. It would act as if you have an even lighter motor on the back. They also aid in wash coming to rest. I run 10 inchs setback.

SLOmofo

Foils.
Allison and Johnson.

Allison and Eagle One.

Fitting the Eagle One.

The Allison is great all around. Combine it with the skid planer and fill the jack plate with balls or I have construction foam cut up and filling what I can. My trim ram is also inside the jack plate.
The Johnson is Stainless and therefore very heavy. I used it with a skid planer but one rough weekend at the lake with both on cracked the lower units cavitation plate. Too much surface area for the conditions. It doesn't flex!
The Eagle One is great for drag racing. Lake use, after a while the wings will crack then I cut them off. Then the foil will crack that's why I have this new one.
If nothing else cover the top, bottom and fill the open space of the set back plate. One stops the squat and two you won't be dragging all the water inside the set back when you take off, third when the bottom is closed it won't act as a big scoop when you are coming off plane.

Darth VMAX

Do y'all run a hyd plate or manual. I am constantly changing my motor height. The balls stay put when the plate moves?