Ski pole

Jus' Giv'r

I've got a 1994 GSE. My ski pole is a little short after we installed the 280 with Alien Cowl. (should've went 15"mid instead of 20").
Anyway, in order to lengthen, Bill would like me to send back pole and mounting sleeve too.
I'm looking for alternatives before I go that route. My kids wakeboard and we were looking at one of the ski pylon extensions that come with straps that go up and tie down on the bow ring.
I'm not looking at 7 feet or anything that tall, just maybe 2' or 3' taller for wakeboarding. Has anyone done this?
For skiing or tubing, I just need another 6 inches.
Thanks gary

DOUBLE J

Dana Marine makes a solid longer one. A couple of people on this site has them and they work great( including me,I had same problem as you). The only thing you will have to do is have a machine shop drill the hole in the pole for the pin.

Jus' Giv'r

Hears a link to the one at Dana Marine. Thats the one I have also and you would be hard pressed to find one as nice for even twice the price!! BTW you get them in any anodized color also. I just stuck mine in a vise and drilled a hole were I figured with a big drill.:beer: http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=7300&highlight=pylon
You da man! I ordered one today. They said they no longer powder coat, but when I mentioned Allison Owners he agreed to Powder Coat Red at no extra charge and can do 48 inches too. Sweeet!

whipper

You da man! I ordered one today. They said they no longer powder coat, but when I mentioned Allison Owners he agreed to Powder Coat Red at no extra charge and can do 48 inches too. Sweeet!
Awsome i really love mine had no trouble ever with bending pulling skiiers or 4 man tubes like a crazy man in rough water. I just lowerd it right to the top of that stringer and marked were I wanted my hole to line up with the bottom hole all ready there for the stock pylon. Even if your off a half inch no big deal. The main thing is to get the new long one as far down as possable.

When I want the racy look not the ski boat look i swap out the pylons then I have the low look of the stocker down filling the hole.

I greesed the bottom of the pylon really light to make it go in and out easy. Its a perfict fit so if dry it can be a wiggle exersice getting it out!!

I use an old sun or golf unbrella carry case to store the pylon im not useing. That way you can accually have both on board if you want. It also makes it so the thin grease doesnt get on anything. It fits in the gunnel perfict and low.

Youll like not haveing the rope slap your cowl all the time like with the short pylon!! It will smack it if its rough water when tubbing but a stratigcaly placed neprean sleeve on the rope at the cowl distance from the pylon fixes any scratches you might encounter.:beer:

Dana ships fast you should be ready to go within a week or two. Post some pics when you get er done!! I would like to see the red pylon on the red GS.:beer:

whipper

Thanks for the vast amount of information! Very helpful!
no problem I have never cleaned out my Inbox more than the last few months.:big grin I like it though. It took me a few years to get all this stuff with the GS and still learning. Better to pass it on so you or anyone else doesnt have to wait to figure it out. Guys did this for me also Marc. Thats what these forums are so great. Dont worry youll be next.:big grin

AMERICAN

If anyone has the time and would like to save some money ,you might want to visit a local machine shop and have one made out of a solid 2" round 6061 Alum. bar..I would think you can save yourself some bucks and also have a solid ski bar that would never bend or break....:beer:

harrells

Ordered mine 60in. long from Eddie or Dana marine and cut to length. Then drilled for pin. It's a solid alum. rod, slides in tube like factory pole did.

Attachments

Last edited:

harrells

LOOP. How long is the pole, and how much would you take for it. i am trying to fabricate one for my sons boston whaler.

harrells

Is it a solid alum.rod, or hollow tube. I just may be able to make it work. What will you take for it, Thanks. Scott.