Skeg repair

MWest77

Hey guys! I've been doing a lot of research on skeg repairs. Welding mainly. I always hear its a no no from many and many others saying the worry is completely unfounded. So far in my reading, I have found absolutely no evidence of a welded or repaired skeg failing. Anyone that has welded a minute of their life knows that a proper weld is stronger than the surrounding material and if prepared properly is nearly impossible to see the repair. If there is a real proven reason for concern on this subject, please point me in that direction. I plan on getting a new gear case soon, most likely a sporty because they look cool but until then, being that I'm currently not a millionaire, will have mine repaired if possible by a reputable repair person. I get tired of hearing people swearing one thing or the other with little or no basis for the argument to start with. Thanks guys! BTW, I am a mechanic, welder, fabricator with nearly 20 years experience from auto, diesel, heavy equipment, to heavy industry so I got a touch of mechanical common sense. :soap box:beating dead horse

SLOmofo

Michael, before you do, give me all the data I'll need to buy a life insurance policy on you payable to me.

Even if the case was stripped, preheated, welded and then properly cooled I wouldn't put it on my boat.

I don't remember seeing a picture of it here.

:same ole song

suicidealli

It is a no no, on a hippo boat. Saying that I also was a fabricator, and certified welder, and still have my certificate. I have welded everything, and some alloys I can't spell.lol
Cast aluminum sucks to weld. You have to get it clean, preheat, and cool down. And it could still crack. Usually they crack on the side of the weld. Not the actual Weld. I have seen sporty's crack just where they have a torq tab welded on. A nice used 200 case with a cone, or a sporty is 300 to 600 dollars empty. Another 200 to 400. To change things over. Is that worth the risk??? especially when you have a pre load case which aren't worth fixing for any reason when they are bad. Find a good used 200 case with good gears, and move on. You don't have to have a sporty, your not running much hp. But they are great lower units. JMO. If you had a high dollar case that was the fastest you ever ran, and it was a hairline crack then you could consider it depending where it was.JMO

Oh I have a welded sporty I picked up, and I'm taking it apart to put the gears in a good case. The welded case was on a 115 mph stv, and I'm scraping the case.
Roy

Last edited:

patches

The problem isn't the weld. The heat weakens the material around the weld. Do you honestly think a good welder has never tried it. They break afterwards, maybe not the next trip or two out but they will break and you won't like the results if you're at anything over 50 mph

MWest77

[/IMG]
Got about an inch on the bottom. The rest of the case is flawless and got a custom Titus nose cone.

MWest77

I've been told the best this boat has ever run was 80ish. I run about 65 on average. Chunkin the case in the trash is real hard to swallow since I don't have a vast collection of spare gear cases layin around. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of those fancy gear cases one of you guys has the first of the year.

xb03

Straighten it up and try to run it like it is, may work for you till you can get a new one.

MWest77

Thanks for responding to my thread. I appreciate it. Some guys on these forums just go get a new one every time something goes wrong which is awesome if you got it like that. I'm just not gonna give up on stuff without exhausting my options first as I can't just "get a new one" all the time. Does the sport master cases have torque tabs?

catfish123

A Sportmaster does have a "curvature" built into it at the rear of the skeg. It acts somewhat as a torque tab. MANY guys have an actual torque tab welded on to the back of the skeg. Over the years, I had 2 Sportmaster cases that had that modification done by a very reputable individual whose skills in welding are second to none. BOTH CASES FAILED after several years with a hairline crack developing right below the bullet of the case. I will NEVER, EVER, have that modification done again. If the skeg breaks off at speed, you will regret it or your family will. There are other modifications, including "sanding" the port side to blend with the curvature of the starboard side that are just as effective in improving handling. Good luck with your choice.

xb03

The offshore sportmaster case has a straight skeg, but you don't see very many of these.

suicidealli

The offshore sportmaster case has a straight skeg, but you don't see very many of these.
I have one of those. I notched the back, and rolled the skeg like a 200 case.
I bought it new in 02. A dealer had it, and I got a deal on it. It was a great case til I blew the gears out of it. Putting it back together now.

Roy

GotMyAlly

Your damage isn't that bad. I dont' think there's anything that needs to be welded there from what I can see. Just file it smooth and taper it out. I don't think you'll ever notice a difference in speed or handling from the damage you've done there, and by just filing it down you won't have to worry about cracking due to welding on it.

MWest77

This case has a torque tab on it and has cracked at the top trailing edge once before. Not sure if I want that mod on my new one. Is it really necessary?

catfish123

If your "new one" refers to a Sportmaster case, then the answer is no, you don't need a welded on torque tab. Just get a case that has the "molded" in tab which is part of the skeg and you'll be fine. A little sanding on the port side helps it some.

aaronmt

Do yourself a favor and put the boat away till you can get a new case.Theres no way Id take my family out with a bandaid repaired lower.Ive driven that boat alot I know what it will do speed wise and the water it can do it in.If this was a 30mph fishing boat id probably run it how it is.A welded skeg/case has now buisness on Allison.

MWest77

Ok guys! I'm not going to have it welded. I'll be getting a new one probably next month. It's 20 degrees here right now so no big hurry. I definitly don't want to experience any of these catostrophic consequences listed above. How do you feel about welding the wing back on my airplane?:LMAO::LMAO:
I wanted to get to the bottom of the pros and cons of this practice because people are definitely fixing these things and running them. Based on what I've heard here, it sounds to risky to me.

MWest77

Do yourself a favor and put the boat away till you can get a new case.Theres no way Id take my family out with a bandaid repaired lower.Ive driven that boat alot I know what it will do speed wise and the water it can do it in.If this was a 30mph fishing boat id probably run it how it is.A welded skeg/case has now buisness on Allison.
I wouldn't put my family in danger trying to be cheap and its not a insane thought to think that aluminum can't be repaired successfully. I don't anything on my stuff that would be considered a "bandaid" either. Rest assured whatever I do with my boat or otherwise will be nothing less than top notch and by the specs. Please don't insult my intelligence.

aaronmt

If you take that as a insult,you have the wrong hobby.Every guy has replied that its not safe.If your looking for someone to sugar coat the truth and tell you its a good idea your looking in the wrong place.As far as insult your intelligence "Im sorry" I wouldnt think a grown man would be so thin skinned when it comes to safety.

MWest77

If you take that as a insult,you have the wrong hobby.Every guy has replied that its not safe.If your looking for someone to sugar coat the truth and tell you its a good idea your looking in the wrong place.As far as insult your intelligence "Im sorry" I wouldnt think a grown man would be so thin skinned when it comes to safety.
Wow. You got some brass buddy. I like to be educated before just following the herd. These guys have addressed my concerns and offered some solutions in some cases and that I appreciate. I'll also have what ever hobby I want to and I'll store my boat whenever I get ready to. Assuming I'm so stupid as to put my family in danger was your bad. Help like yours is what people don't need.

whipper

I wouldnt weld it also. Heard to many horror storys about when they let go. Ussually at speed with the added stress. I would just cut off the down section and make the bottom straight as in the short red line. As you can see the red line at the prop shaft hight there will still be plenty of case at even with the pad. The skeg looks almost as low as the blade tip at the lowest point also. It would get you by for a good while Im sure. Personally I would rather run mine like that than with a weld on. To each his own though. Just be safe what ever you decide to do.