Skeg question

Speedman

I took off some of the leading edge a couple of years ago and haven;t had it fixed on my sportmaster. now that I am hopping up the motor for the 100 club, I know I shouldn't be driving it that fast with the skeg the way it is, can I have a reg shop just fix it? or is it special cause its a sportmaster? thanks guys

fishnfireman

Not every shop can do it right :!:

my suggestion would be to send it to someone like Sanderson... And there are others, who can do it right for a 100 mph boat. :arrow:

I have 3 that broke in the past 6 yrs because of having the Allison mods done by the average joe...

fishnfireman

Only if you want the last little bit of speed the boat is capable of doing..
I have seen some other mods that do not weaken the skeg.
There are not a lot of shops who can do this without making the skeg weaker.
I know of 4 that came out of Dallas that the torque tab broke. Including one of mine that broke twice from Dallas once with a local shop...I finally found a guy who welded it and quaranteed it would not break at the weld...4 yrs later its still together.. I have not seen one but have heard of some that the skeg broke diagonal from the top of where the tab was welded down to the front of skeg....depending on how much was to break and how fast you were going, it could----leave a mark....... at least a skid mark in your shorts .. :oops:

The Allison mods cuts the sportmaster skag to be shorter and not as long. it also shapes the sides so one is concave the other is convex. it also has the Allison torque tab welded in place.

JR

Baker-Allison mod

I have the Baker-Allison mod on my Sportmaster and it did not involve any welding on the Skeg. The entire skeg is concaved [cresent shaped] and the angular root of the factory torque tab is removed to make the skeg a complete curve.
The Metalurogy of the copper-free alloy in the Sportmaster [thanks to the EPA] does not lend itself to being welded.
Mine has survived 8 years of impacts/groundings/bat turns and is still going strong [I hope].
JR

TODD2002

Say you took some of the leading edge off of you skeg on your sportsmaster. I took about a inch and it hasn't run like it did while it was stock. Lost alot because about a hundred it will blow out every time. The only thing that has changed was the inch off of the front of the ckeg making the skeg look like a 200 skeg. It would run 105 before the mod and hasn't seen over 101 since the mod.

Speedman

Todd what do you mean it blows out at 100/ I have never had a blow out and never gone 100, what happens when you blow out at 100 and how do you avoid it? I have am 8" set back and I am even with the pad, could I blow it out doing 90 with that set up?

TODD2002

with my 2002 I sit on the side unlike most 2002 when it blows out in good water from the case loosing bite the boat just lays down as soon as I trim down the boat starts pulling again. As for knowing if you will blow out that will depend on how you are set up and weather conditions on the water. And the prop. I usually run a 30 et turning 7200 or so when I blow out . Before I could turn the 30 et 7600 at 103-105 depending on weather and time of the year. Running 12 inch set back