Simon Motorsports Opinions

catfish123

Hopefully it's safe........he did my 225X and I'm very happy with it.

badbait

Only an opinion and it's really not mine, but you can't compare a port injected motor with a direct injected motor. Jimmy B. on this board has said they don't have the technology or maybe can't afford the technology it takes to precisely meter fuel at high rpms on direct injected motors.

catfish123

Badbait.........you are way ahead of me with your knowledge on this stuff. Thanks for posting because I sure don't want to mislead anyone. If Eric Simon does lighten the flywheel and raise the limiter on the direct injected motors, I'm sure he is doing it so it works right. With that being said, I don't know if he raises the limiter on them or not.

props4u2

How safe is it for me to raise my limiter on my 200xs? I just don't want to go BOOM! He is charging $750 to raise the limiter and lighten the flywheel.

Here is the link I was looking at:

http://www.simonmotorsports.com/page3.html

Thanks for looking...

The light flywheel should be good but I would not turn any opti higher than the factory rev limiter. Can you say broken block boss's where the compressor bolts on?

Lee

whipper

I would call Simon and get some references of guys that have done this and see if there motors are still fine. Its hard to judge with out real world results. I'm sure its not an extreme rpm change? Do you know to what rpm the new limiter would be? I did my 225Promax totally different motor but I sure like running a pitch or two down for the hole shots and still getting the same top end.

If you can talk to some people that have put some hard hours on there XS with this mod then you can probably breath a little easier. Thats what i would do first.

Ally03 200xs

Simon said he would raise my max rpm by 500. My new rev limiter would be 7300 with some ECU tuning for the higher rpm.

Good idea, I'll call him for some references...

Darth VMAX

Question would be, is the 200xs going to be able to do anything with the extra RPM's? If I remember correctly the 250xs really didn't run noticabley stronger after merc raised the R's from 5850 to 6300.

Would it be worth it?

badbait

One of the things I like best about these direct injected motors is the way they idle nice and slow 500 rpm and never die when you shift into gear. Cutting the flywheel may change all that. I have a motor with a light flywheel and even at 800 to 900 rpm it dies about a third of the time when putting it in gear. I can put up with that on a race motor but I've been spoiled with these green motors and I don't want to go back to the way they used to run.

RobShaw-BasSport

Badbait, your post about poor idle characteristics really made a lot of sense to me. I did as much research as I could with people who have these outboards and have had the flywheel mod performed and I couldnt find anyone that noticed ill effetcs. When I get my flywheel and ECU back from Eric, I'll post my results.

Thanks.

catfish123

Rob, how soon do you think you'll have your flywheel back? I'm anxious to hear how you like it. I had it done to the flywheel on my 225X.

simonmotorsports

Probationary User
I have been lightening these flywheels for over 9 years and have never had a failure. I machine a little over 2 pounds from the outside edge.

Ally03 200xs

I have been lightening these flywheels for over 9 years and have never had a failure. I machine a little over 2 pounds from the outside edge.
Do you have the dyno graphs for a stock 200xs vs. a modified 200xs with your lightened flywheel and ecu mod on 91 octane?

Thanks!

R

Redding XB21

Sounds like someone is getting ready for May.:wink Looking forward to getting together with you again. I might need someone to clean off the chopper again!

RobShaw-BasSport

Initial seat of the pants feeling with the lighter flywheel and ecu reflash is that the hole shot, which was already pretty good, is better and the mid range acceleration pins you in your seat. Due to the heavy winds and rough water on Gaston, last weekend, I was never able to go over 5k rpms. Cranking and idling characteristics were just as smooth as before the mods.:beer: