Side-washing problem...

h2oskiier30

Can the motor being too low cause "side-washing"?

I have a buddy that bought an XB03 two weeks ago. It's ill handling as hell. I even tried driving it yesterday, and couldn't handle it. Even put a know good-running prop of mine on it to rule that out...still ill handling.

The only thing I could tell was it looked like the motor might have been too low...maybe an inch or so below the pad. I didn't have any way to measure, so it was strictly by eyeballing, but I'm confident the motor is that low.

Could that be the cause?

GotMyAlly

Submarining a sportmaster definitely pulls the back end down and makes them handle poor, though I wouldn't say undriveable. With mine that low, it just sucks the back down and you have to trim the crap out of it to get the bow to lift, but it never frees up enough to be wild.

RedAllison

If the motor is more than 3/4 of an inch below on a XB03 the motor won't turn up.

Was it balanced? Improper balance will make one impossible no matter what prop or how good a driver you got behind the wheel.

h2oskiier30

My sportmaster is stock, and I don't have any ill handling problems. It's going to Tiillman a week from today for his skeg mods, though.

We moved weight around quite a bit, but never could change the handling characteristics of the boat.

Bsprout

I had a 200 lower with a bobs cone and always wash the sides. Put on a sporty and titus moded lower and ran great with both.Problem solved. I think the skeg or something musta been bent on the bobs?/ Maybe enough to where i couldnt see it?? U should be a pal and let him try your lower... might point u in the right direction?

bigtis

like chad said, an unballanced Allison will make a pro look like a novice. YOU will NEVER be able to let the boat drive itself, because it will constantly chine. therefore, constant corrections are needed at the wheel.

I would first check to make sure that everything is straight, true, and sharp on the bottom, then I'd reassess the setup. keep everything as ballanced as possible, and carry about a 15-30lb shot bag to use as ballast once up on the pad.

bigtis

is this the red and white 03? the transom had some damage as well from the jackplate sinking in. make sure the back transom area, " where the jackplate would sandwich" has a plate or something to stop the jackplate from digging into the transom. if the jackplate is digging, it is changing the angle that the mota is running in the water. it could almost all the mota the run a few degrees off from straight up and down.

h2oskiier30

is this the red and white 03? the transom had some damage as well from the jackplate sinking in. make sure the back transom area, " where the jackplate would sandwich" has a plate or something to stop the jackplate from digging into the transom. if the jackplate is digging, it is changing the angle that the mota is running in the water. it could almost all the mota the run a few degrees off from straight up and down.
No...that one is my brother's boat. No problems with that one.

This one is red/black.

chad202

A couple things. Make sure the steering is tight, no slop. Also make sure everything is tight with the jachplate bolts. Look at the Lu closely for blemishes.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my opinion, check all the stuff mentioned above, but you gotta get a level surface and figure out where the propshaft is. Until you know that basic yet important piece of information, you're kinda shooting in the dark.

allison8503

im with chad on this one ive driven them way off balance with the motors all over the place and was still able to get them up and rollin but before i will drive one i make sure the skeg is good the jackplate is the same on both sides AND THERE CAN BE NO PLAY IN THE STEERING!!!!!!!!!!!!