Side steer to Center steer in a 03

wc911

OK how long will it take? What do I need? How big of a job is it? Need to know , i'm tired of having to put so much weight on left side to counter weight my big butt. All input would be appreciated.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did it on mine. I think I printed out a page from seastar's website that had the pattern for the holes, got a big hole saw, drilled the holes for the studs then took a sawzall and cut a gap between the 2 holes so I could move it without disconnecting the hydraulic lines. I move mine back and forth if I'm running solo or with people.

Last edited:

catfish123

Just my opinion, but that looks like a lot of work to do each time you change the load in the boat. I think I'll stick with the lead weights but thanks for showing this other option.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess some people don't mind taking 3 minutes with a cordless driver, undoing 4 nuts, moving it over and tightening them up. A little work never hurt nobody :beer: Thanks for your opinion :gasp :very happy

catfish123

You're welcome............:beer:.........I'll take 3 seconds instead and avoid the hole showing in my dash that would surely bother me..........but maybe you've got something to cover it too............:big grin

catfish123

Do you actually move it around very often? How's the weather down there now Brian?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every now and then, not real often tho. Light snow at the moment, gonna try to get the boat out this weekend if I can.

GotMyAlly

You talking about going center steer permanently or temporarily?

My 03 was center. When I bought it, I had every intention of converting it to a side steer. But i liked it so much, i ended up keeping it that way. I drove a couple of side steers and never thought any of them drove as easy as my center steer.

I think it would be worth the effort to move it permanently. Going back and forth, probably not so much.

catfish123

I was always interested in trying it but I guess to "make it right", I would need the side-slide seat base, and then the courage to start putting more holes in the dash. I am not sure that if I permanently moved it that I would like driving the boat with the wheel off center when I had a passenger up front. Like with most boating things, changes usually result in some form of a compromise.

hirk

I have had both center and side steer with the seat slide. To me it was no problem moving the seat toward the center and having the wheel on my right shoulder but personally I prefer sitting in the true center but the downside is no 2 up seating. The boat just seems to handle better and I never need to move stuff for balance. Having lots of room either side of the bucket is nice too.

allimax

Mine was moved towards center before I bought it I assume when the hydraulic steering was added. It doesn't look as far to the left as how you did yours. Mine is also fixed there but I do have the sliding seat bracket. I have no problem with the wheel being off set when I have a passenger and I kinda thought driving her like that would feel / be really hard.

catfish123

Brian's does look to be quite a bit further to the left than yours, Bob.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe by splitting the difference it's easy to have the seat on the center or the side and reach the wheel easily. I saw some pictures somewhere and that's what I used to decide where I put mine. Here's what it looks like in the center.