Side-Slide: A How-to, or...

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
...it ain't as simple as it LOOKS! :lol:

That is, when you're trying to fit one onto an older XB-2003 (1998 in this case).

The good news: Both the side-slide and the new low-profile fore/aft slide assembly have a total combined height of 2". The older fore/aft alone bracket that was stock under the driver's seat of my 03, after removal, measures 1.75" high. So, although the factory advised that the addition of the side-slide would add about 1" to the seat height, in reality it only adds 1/4" to the original height of the seat when compared to the late 90's stock arrangement. Also, the new low-profile rig has 3/4" overall more fore/aft travel for the seat (3/8" each at front and rear) than the original '98 unit.

The bad news: The holes in the seat for the original slider don't come close to matching the new low-profile fore/aft slider's holes. The original had holes on 5.5" x 6" centers, the new one has holes on 7" (port/starboard) by 8" (fore/aft) centers. Worse yet, if you were to use the nice pre-threaded holes on the new low-profile assembly as a guide to drill new holes into the seat bottom, you'd be screwed, because they would be located at the very edges of the reinforcing plywood that is 'glassed into the seat bottom. NFG! (non-functional goods.)

So after much thought and examination, I have determined that what needs to be done is to drill new holes into the new fore/aft assembly sliding rails, on 6.75" centers fore/aft, while leaving the 7" port/starboard centers alone. These holes will then have to be threaded to 1/4-20 for the bolts.

(They MUST be using a newer type fiberglass seat shell in the newer boats with a longer bottom. There's no way this older seat could interface with the new hole dimensions and still have good structural rigidity, especially if you consider holding up to bat turns, etc. because the bolts would come through its bottom at the edges of the plywood.)

More fun, I get to drill and TAP the floor of the boat with six new holes (I am told by the factory an aluminum plate is 'glassed into the front floor) again 1/4-20 to mount the side-slide. I see great and wonderful opportunities to break the tap off in the floor and repeat some of my adventures of a year ago. So I bought two taps: 1 for the first 3 holes, 1 for the last 3.

When the new holes are drilled and tapped into the new fore/aft slider rail arms, I then will use these to mark new holes in the seat bottom to drill. Then the seat can be bolted down with red locktite onto the rails, as the last step AFTER the side-slide and the fore/aft slide are mounted into the boat.

The assembly of these pieces must be done in the proper order or you will have found yourslef trapped in a boxed canyon. It's like a Chinese puzzle, and will also require a lot of measurement to make sure things are lined up square, even, and centered. I want the seat to finish up exactly where it was originally when slid to the full starboard position.

This will be a project that likely takes most of a weekend day. I'll post pictures of the old vs. new parts and the assemblies.

J

John Richied

Lou... keep life simple, everything is not a drama. :mrgreen:

Yellowallison

LULU!

Cmon now.. You should have waited to your CREW CHIEF- AMAN go there and had him do it!

He cheap labor- Dozen KKremme glazes and he do anything! :lol:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Pinkie....If I woulda kept things simple I'd still be drivin the HydraSports.

I was offering the detailed "drama" above to those who may be thinking of undertaking the same modification, so that someone else might benefit from the retro engineering that needs to be done.

BigRedAlli

Side-Slide

Installed mine last Sunday. Same deal in a 1995 XB2003, lot of drilling and tapping. Not to bad once you get the measurements figured out. Took a couple hours though.Was also glad the overall height wasen't much more............Good Luck............MARTY

SSTOM

SIDE SLIDE

The bracket on the bottom of the seat is around 130.00 and the side slide bracket is around 160.00. I've been thinking on buying it for my SS. Tom. 8)

J

John Richied

You guys don't want a center steer... it makes an Allison too easy to drive... LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BigRedAlli

Had center steer-went to side for more room if needed.....Plus it"s easier to tell when the Wife blows out..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Her slide out? :wink: With that low center of gravity! :lol:

BigRedAlli

Wife says, hope you can swim, you got it coming tomorrow Big Boy!!!
How cold is the water now???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

J

John Richied

BigRedAlli said:
Had center steer-went to side for more room if needed.....Plus it"s easier to tell when the Wife blows out..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the wife blows out, most guys would know… hmmm, I wonder why it got so peaceful and quite? :p :p :p

GotMyAlly

I don't know nuthin' about have a wife in the boat, but every girl I've had in my boat had her fingernails dug into my shoulders so deeply that I'd be going overboard too if she got blown out.

S

Scott Gilmore

Re: SIDE SLIDE

SSTOM said:
The bracket on the bottom of the seat is around 130.00 and the side slide bracket is around 160.00. I've been thinking on buying it for my SS. Tom. 8)
I have side slide on my SS2000 & it works GREAT !!!! Scott :D

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well it took me all afternoon on Saturday to line up and position the fore/aft slider to the seat bottom within a gnat's whisker of the old unit's alignment.

Ever try to get something lined up straight and square when there are no straight edges to reference from? :shock:

The postulate that I began with, was that the original bracket was square and centered. From this, I drew lines to establish a fore/aft centerline for the seat bottom, and worked from that reference.

Lots of time with a pencil and a square...Lots of drama, Pinkie... :lol:

Lucky for you guys the battery in the camera is dead...maybe pics coming eventually.

J

John Richied

Lou, get r done!

That’s going to make one fine fishin boat… hehehe

I started a new project of my own… I am cutting a big hole in the top of my livewell lid and mounting a toilet seat to it… :wink:

The new 21’ers ain’t got nothin on this little red fishin boat.

Lets Fish Baby!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
It was easier to align the side-slide on the boat floor than I thought it would be. It is in there dead nuts perfect square to the floor and the boat cross-members (I'm sure there's a marine name for these but don't recall what it is).

Got the six holes drilled and tapped with no trouble. Didn't check to see if I drilled thru the hull but I dont think I did. :wink:

Tomorrow I get my drill press back from the motor shop (burnt up motor) and finish the job by relocating the threaded holes on the seat rails.

Got new batteries for camera. Pics will be taken to help those who are thinking about doing this job.