Sick 225 Pro, '98 stock

GeoL

Randy has a problem with his 1998 2003pst/225pro. I received the following from him.
Thank you for your assistance. Geo

Scott and I took the boat out sunday. It took 5 minutes to get on a plane. I think we left on 2 cyl., then 3 , then 4 and finally they all started working. Temp went over 200 while mushing along then dropped to 110 when we got cooking. Put new plugs in and I think all is well but only got about a 10 minute ride before the oil warning sounded. It just went off once like when you first turn the key on. Oil levels all fine. Book says the oil pump may have failed. If so, would it just sound once like that or would it keep beeping? That ever happen to you?

Randy is in Leesburg, FL. Thanx again. geo

whipper

Water in gas maybe. Mine did similer things. Once I got going it was ok but couldnt get out of the hole and temps went up. Mine would go then die then go and had to feather it then it would go. At speed about mid speed she would chop its self on and off also. i had lots of help figuring this out. Lots figured swith box. Hears a link to the thread with lots of ideas. http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=3646

JR

George,
Be sure and have him put a tie-wrap on every one of his sparkplug boots and keep them tight enough that you can hardly pull them off.
It could be the items James said, or the rotation sensor/module. I would definitely pull the pump/worm gear. Check the sensor/module and do a "feel check" on the plastic crank pump drive gear.
I replace my Pump and worm gear every couple of years along with the pump input/output lines.

GeoL

Thank you, James and Jim.
Randy is on the forum now, I'll let him furnish the rest of the story.
Sure sounded like water to me too, but I hate to chase ghosts, hell, it could be low battery, Merc's are funny sometime.
I don't have the manual anymore so I can't look up the oil/water/overheat horn warnings.

What does it cost to replace the 'oil gear', that's high dollar, isn't it ? Just a visual inspection ain't good enuff, eh? This is the original 'oil gear', almost 10 years old.....

I really appreciate yawls help and suggestions,
Geo

whipper

The one Jr is talking about isnt the one inside you motor. Its just a plastic piece in the oil pump were the block off plate would go if oil injection was removed. The crank one is pretty good they dont usually go. If it went the motor would blow a piston or something real bad right now because its way deep inside your case and its metal. The plastic worm gear is cheep. How do the plugs look? If the gear was failing the plugs would show lean. It sound to me but im no expert at all. That its spark or fuel related. The easy way to see if its fuel throw on a couple of new filters and fresh gas after he pumps out the old gas swab the bottom of the tank with a rag on the end of a coat hanger to make sure its clean then take her for a rip.That way its one down and more to go. May as well change the plastic gear at the same time so ya dont run out of oil or just pre mix and block it off. with the tank clean would be a good time to do it. If it still runs poor then its one of the other things guys were mentioning most likely. start with the cheapest stuff to do first. I changed my plug wires and that even made a differance.

GeoL

Thanx Whipper, I wish he would respond on here, I guess he is shy or too busy, yawn.
I'll send him an email.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Geo

Thanks for all the good info gentlemen. I printed it out and started a notebook. Heres what I've so far. There was no water in the fuel filters. New spark plugs cured the misfire problem or at least the symptom. There may be a deeper problem to make 4 of them to go bad at the same time. Maybe low ignition voltage output to equally worn plugs or something like that. FYI the plugs that Merc specs for this engine are NGK BUZHW @$15.80 each. NAPA cross reference # is 2147 @7.30 each. I got the NAPA plugs and on the box it says--NGK-2147/BUZHW. I'm comfortable with that and $50 bucks happier. I asked a Merc mechanic about the warning horn and he said it will sound if you have a problem and won't stop till the problem is fixed. He couldn't even guess why it would sound briefly then stop but said if it tests at startup and I dont hear it anymore to enjoy my boat ride. thanks again, Randy

JR

Randy the '98 Pmax has a water sensor in the sump at the driver's side front of the engine with a wire that snaps on directly on the bottom of the sump.
Pull the wire off and then thread out the long plastic rod/sensor and drain the sump. This could be the cure too, since it generates a beep when it detects water in the fuel sump.
Make sure you tie wrap all the plug boots and the BUZHWs are even cheaper from Advance Auto parts.
Enjoy your toy,

JR