Shifting Problems

Ltcbutch

Shifting from forward to neutral sometimes does not disengage and I have to shift all the way back to reverse to pull out of forward. This can't be good.

Is the adjustment needed at the linkage under cowl or where?

2000 model 280

Thanks.
Butch

Stace

My PM did the same thing and I found that the Idle was to high. Reset the idle to about 800 rpms in gear and it pops out everytime now. Stace

Ltcbutch

Stace,

Could be. It idles fast enough to almost plane off:big grin:big grin.

Was going to get around to asking about the idle range of a 280, but haven't worked that far down the list.

Bob Ant

I can start my motor in gear. When I do it that way , it is very tough to get it back to neutral.

Bob A.

halveb

Just recently had my motor rebuilt and was having the same problem this weekend, neutral was difficult to find and someone suggested it was a high idle problem.

reward69

Yeah my opti says on the side that anyting above 750rpm will make it hard to come out of gear.

ALLISONMAN

The switch on the side of the shifting rails kill the ignition for a brief second to let the lower unit come out of gear. It is either bad or misadjusted!!!!

bringit

stace is correct it is idleing too high,when u have an engine with high idle there is alot of thrust on the clutch dog and gear,thats why some manufacturers put shift cut switches on there motors.