shifter cable ??'s

Chad Phillips

I'm trying to get my shifter cable adjusted again on my bridgeport, but I can't get it to adjust right, I don't think. The motor end of the cable, the long black part, has a good bit of play before it shifts. Broken maybe? I've got another cable I think will work length wise, but I just don't want to go through the hassle of taking it all back out.

May as well ask how to PROPERLY adjust it..

any help here guys??

Chad Phillips

Thanks Marty for the link, but I can not get mine adjusted. if I adjust it to lock in reverse, it'll spin in forward. Adjust the barrel 1 turn to lock forward, and reverse spins. I think i've got a bad cable. I've been running a eddie marine shifter since March and haven't had any troubles until now.

Myron

Chad, pull your prop and see if the spanner nut that holds the bearing carrier in has come loose or moved, you might also check your gear oil to see if there is any water in it from the carrier moving. I new someone who had the same problem as you and that is what it turned out to be, just food for thought

XSive

Did you check the cable throw with your shifter? I would be willing to bet that the arm on the shifter isn't long enough, and therefore total cable travel is less than it should be. It's probably not your cable. They are either good or broken, PERIOD.