Setup Question for XR-2001 Drag racers

RB in NM

What type of setback are most of you XR-01 owners running say with 300plus HP, for pure drag race, not lake runner.

How bout propshaft height?

Thanks, Russ

GPI Racing

keep it close. 3-4 inches. spread your weight around, not just all at the back. the shorter the distance the lower you can go. start 1/4 below and work your way up. The nice thing about that boat is if it's to low it will tilt to port. To high you'll have tons of steering torque and it will "drag" the bow at sub-light speeds.

Randy

Fl Boy in ILL

Set Back

THey come from the factory with a 6-8 plate, with that said we tried it at 6 them moved it to 8, i didn't like the way the boat handled at 8" so I moved it back to 6". I was running about 1/4" above with a 300.

Rick

RB in NM

Thanks guyz,,
Figgers, it has a 10" plate on it right now, cuz the previous owner waz running a 4 banger OMC on it for the roundy round races. I'll call him tonight an see if that is still the Allison style plate on the hull that will be adjustable...If not, I'll be looking fer one,,quick !

Thanks Randy and Rick. !

I appreciate it much! More question to come I'm sure,,, :lol:

Russ

froggy

RB,

The quickest 2001 around here is running with his engine bolted smooth to the transom---how much offset is that? He's no slouch either at 8.5 sec, rope start. This boat had all kinds of plates on it for it's first two years and the closer we got the better it ran/handled. Of course other, trial and error, stuff needs to be done when moving the offset.

froggy

GPI Racing

Rick,

I once tried to figure that out. They run a flying start so if your good your hauling the mail at the start when the timer goes. I suppose it's like the old clock start circle races.

Randy

Fl Boy in ILL

Clocks

Randy

I run both KDBA and SLDBA which is a 125' start, Jim Dunns hydro runs high 8's so I can only imagine how tough it would be to drive an Ally that fast. Jim runs mid to high 120's when he runs 9.00s. To run 8.5's you have to run over 130 I would guess, just never seen it at the rope races. Jon Wrights Tinker Toy on TONS of spray has run low 8s in the 1/4. THe guys running 1/4 masters on spray run hi 8s.

Rick

Yellowallison

Still want to know who it is??? White Allison Drag?

Nope itz an Yellow XR2003/OMC 3.3 DRAG .........................

--- being pulled by a BLACK SUPER DUTY :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HUH - Low 8's in the 1/4 mile in ALLISON!!!!!!!! DAMMMMMM!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

RB in NM

Hey Casey,

Positive tilt ? Not sure I'm familier wid' dat one......does it have like a 6 degree tuck to it?

see you have two cables running to your indicator bracket,,,what's the second one fer?

Thanks, Russ

Yellowallison

Positive tilt ? Not sure I'm familier wid' dat one......does it have like a 6 degree tuck to it?

Yea RUSS so ya get better hole shot and don't have to run wedges...

GOOD luck on yur 2001.... Yu gunna like it..!

---Tha 2nd cable probbaly trips off his trim puter.... via a mircoswitch

Casey G

the plate gives you a little more positive trim, but it also takes away from the negative trim. you need it or wedges when using the short trim ram since they don't have quite enough range.

the 33c cable is for my trim limit switch. it lets me trim to the exact same place every pass. trim computers are to inaccurate and never seem to trim to the same place twice. this way you can set the run time long and let the limit switch stop it or not run a computer at all. my right button is 24 up and limited and my left button is 12 without a limit

Last edited:

RB in NM

That's a nice limiter idea.... I'm interested in that as well..!

The drag hull I'm getting has some sort of 10" plate on it now, but the guy had a 4 cyl OMC using it for roundy races. I'll probably opt for the Bobs manual plate with the 5" setback with 6 degree wedge.

Got some info for the trim limiter cable and switch?

Thanks, Russ

Fl Boy in ILL

I thought it might be Dwaynes boat, I saw it run low 7s at SITC a couple years ago but that equates to hvery high 8s low 9s in the 1/4, 8.5 is awsome, I'd sure like to see it.

Rick