SET UP

A

Anonymous

How much set back are you all runnin on your XB2002's? :?:

AllisonboatsMS

13 inches on mine. running a slighty cut 28 chopper. using allison plate hydro plate and 2 inch spacer.I hook up well, have to use little or no positive trim at top speed and can drop the plate all the way down to really take some serious rough stuff at decent speeds.

Mike2002

setback

10" (6" Detwiler Hyd + 4" setback plate).

Boat came with 7.5" before this but would not handle top end lift.

Mike2002

hack02

I ran 9 on mine for a while; it seemed it would fall forward off the pad too easily. I added 2 inch spacer blocks from Bobs and it made it alot better. Didn't have to run it nose high; it ran nice and flat. Never wanted to do anything funny, get out of shape or anything like that. Lost maybe a tick on holeshot but I'm not a racer, I just like to ride. Still came out of the hole strong. 20 inch motor.

Jimxb02

Dark Allison

I sent you a private message in responce to your message to me.

Did you get it. If not I'll try to resend.

Jim

A

Anonymous

I got it but when I read you Hydromotive prop post it said you ran without a trolling motor. :shock:

J

John Richied

This is going to sound ALL WRONG from everything I have ever heard/learned but, I moved my manual jackplate in all the way to 10” and it carries weight better…

Now I don’t run with the trolling motor on very often and I’m sure that has some affect on the required setback along with the horsepower you are running, gearcase, and prop.

After moving my setback to 10” I have ran 98.1 and 98.9 with myself (around 235 lbs.), a small cooler, around half a tank of fuel and one passenger (about 170 lbs.) and I never could run that fast with the setback moved all the way back to about 12.5”…

This is with a modified Sportmaster, 28 Lightning ET and the propshaft even with the pad.

merc2five

Pinkie,
Doyou think less setback is better on the xb003 as well. Currently at 12(1/2?) + 2" w/ short shaft housing

Jimxb02

Dark Allison

Yes, I run without a trolling motor and I use my live well to keep my beer cool. I don't fish. I did a lot when I was younger but now I've lost interest.

To speek to your question; I have 13 1/2" of setback, this gives me slow hole shot but good top end. With the 28 hydromotive I get good rought water performance and good top end - it lifts the whole boat - a different feel than most props but when you get use to it, it's a really great ride.

The last few weeks here have been very hot and humid so I have lost some horsepower. I've change until the end of this hot spell to my 26" chopper.

An open question: how much do you typically lose in hot weather with a promax? Also, with a raised rev limiter, when does the horsepower start to roll off after 7000 RPM ?

What performance are you getting with that 245 ?

Jim

J

John Richied

Merc 2 five, I really have no idea if this would be the same on your XB-2003. If you have the manual adjustable jackplate, the best thing to do is try it and experiment with your set up. If someone told me six months ago I would run faster loaded moving my jackplate in, I would have thought B.S.

The other thing was the boat felt more stable at high speed and until we stopped and looked at the Gps, I had no idea we ran faster then usual. Even my boy was like WHAT!!! Do you think the Gps is right? I was like, yeah… and we reset the Gps and did it again.

Jim, the 225 ProMax runs hard up into 7200-Rpm range, after 7200 Rpm you need to be light loaded or pitched down to a 26 pitch prop or smaller to pull it up into and past the 7500-Rpm range.

I have had mine pull to 7750 Rpm’s but that was with a Yamaha 24 pitch drag prop and 26cc heads 180 lbs. of compression/race fuel. My rotating assemble is stock but I have and SVS, a 260 flywheel/stator, and a Rapair worked ECU.

Jimxb02

Thanks John

That really helps me. I also have a stock block and rotating parts and I could feel that after 7200 it would stop accelerating but would go up higher if I used my jack plate and some body english.

Jim

USALLISON

I'm runnin' 18" on my XB2002. Lost a LITTLE on bottom....but is good on mid and top.......drives like a dream. I have a 6" ALLI plate on the transom with a 12" RapidJack bolted to that.

[/img]