Seeing whats on "Top"

JR

Since I bought a Brucato ACU late last Summer, I not only gained a good amount of extra HP but I also got a way to adjust my fuel [a/f].

This led to the temptation to the temptation to "dinker" with my "Timex reliable" Pmax.

I have finally given in to the temptation for a top end run to see if my GS can hit the "Century" mark, so I ordered a lab finished 32 ChopperII today along with another Box-stock 32 ChopperII for everyday cruising.

Next I am going to send the injectors off to be "Flowed" and my spare heads to be "tightened up". Should I get Oring grooves cut or stick with head gaskets?

Hopefully I'll be ready to try by the time the weather warms up.

JR

JR

Art,
It's pulling a beat up 30" to 7k right now without the higher compression, so I am guessing it will pull the 32. I have always wanted to try a 32 anyways..
JR

whipper

Me two JR i really would like to know how this turns out.I am thinking about doing the same as you did with the ACU. After reading all the posts on 225 vs 260-280 I am still undisided were to spend some money. If you can get close or hit the century then the ACU will be the ticket for now. Boy you really do like those chopper11,s dont ya.:laughing James

lightening rod

You can be rest assured it will pull the 32 cleaver. Mdrury ran one on his stock 200 for years and pulled it to the mid 90's. Same prop got me to 97 with the stock 225promax on a XB2003

msethsmile

Funny Guy
A hun with a pm on a gs is cookin. RE3s seem to work well too. Fastest mine has run is 96, pm/xbo3 w/ 30 triton 1

Myron

Hey JR, I have a set of 28cc heads and a lab 32 ET if you want to try them, I don't know what they get to o-ring heads, if it is not to bad that would be the way to go because you can re-use the o-rings when you pull the heads.

Myron

If I remember right Sam Baker's dad ran over 100 with a pro max with a cleaver. You should get to 100 pretty easy with the right setup

Yellowallison

Head gaskets is fine at 28 CC...

With PROMAX power... I would have ordered a 32 LAB CLEVER instead of CHOPPER for a 100mph BONz eye RUN.

Let me know when you GO to the CREEK an I come WATCH and YU need to do it before the weather warms up!!! :razz

JR

Myron,
How much do you want for the heads? I am interested in buying them since I won't have to go through the trouble of unboxing my old powerhead and shipping the heads off to be cut.

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to borrow anyone's prop since I don't want to be responsible for it.

The 32 lab finished ChopperII is the one that Jerry Jaco made for A-boat "record-set" runs and should be here in a day or two.

Scott,
I do intend to get started on this hopefully in March/April so the water can warm up some. I already flipped a boat during mid-Winter as a teenager [right before the Cedar River Bridge] and if I ever end up swimming again, I at least want half-warm water.

BTW, the Knee Surgeon and I had a "Falling out" about what activities I would be doing after he replaced both of my knees.

I really can't figure out why he would care, he'll get paid the same wether I tear them up quickly or not.

I won't be getting them done this year [new Surgeon, next year probably] so I am on a "crash diet" to lower the weight/strain on my knees [I am playing paintball again Saturday].

Did Carl McCormick tell you about my Son-in-Law getting car-jacked? They finally found his Camaro minus the supercharged motor/transmission burnt to the ground.
JR

Yellowallison

Did Carl McCormick tell you about my Son-in-Law getting car-jacked?
NO... DAGGUM.... I will call Carl and get the details!

Let me know when you go RUN????:razz :razz

ziemer

Good luck JR. You'll know you're at a 100 when the bow dips down and the boat flattens out. :smile :beer: :wink

I just switched my cowling back to the alien, so now we are almost identical twins. (Put the sq. style on for racing with the 15", but like the alien so much better. :wink)

JR

Jeff,
The only thing bad about the Alien cowl is that people can pop the lever to look at your engine and not get it back locked. I had mine blow off in the middle of the St Johns. I was blessed with it landing upside down and floated until I could get back to it.

I once got the bow to come down [95 GPS] and it felt like it was going to accelerate, but I ran into a cruiser wake in Drs. Inlet and did some high flying before I could find out.

I have been 100+ in Mirages and SSs but would like to say that I have been there in my family boat.

Myron or Jeff, how much extra fuel % should I start out with using tightened heads? Is this a question to ask Tony B?

JR

ziemer

Jeff,
The only thing bad about the Alien cowl is that people can pop the lever to look at your engine and not get it back locked.
Yeah, that and the nut that holds the lever will also loosen a fall off causing the cowl to fly off too. :shock: Had that happen once and got lucky.

Myron or Jeff, how much extra fuel % should I start out with using tightened heads? Is this a question to ask Tony B?
I would ask Tony B. I don't know if the same would apply for your p-max as it would for my 260 (and mercury box.) :wink

JR

Jeff,
Tony B just told me that I would need 3% more fuel and 100 octane fuel for the tighter 28cc heads. He questioned if I would get any thing more on top with 150+ compression but it would help me get there faster.
JR

JR

I finally got over my extreme case of "Laziness" and decided to try a speed run yesterday with a set of 37cc heads, ACU, and a 32" ChopperII. The temperature was kind of high [83 degrees] and I ended up with a 12 knot 90 degree crosswind. When I got to the ramp, I found out that every boat owner in Jax was out on the water [the weather was forecasted to be a "Perfect 10" for Saturday and Sunday].
The ACU+tightened heads caused my boat to come out of the hole pretty much the same as with my normal 30" ChopperII. I noticed the biggest difference was from about 80+. The boat [after 80] was continuiously climbing but was accelerating nowhere near as fast as it did with the 30". The steep crosswind was tilting my hull over and causing me to add a lot of "Crab" to the steering. The only sheltered place I had to run was behind my Family's house on Cedar River and the slower acceleration caused me to back off before I had to make the turn to go through a narrow bridge. I was only able to make it up to 93.0 [6500 RPM] on the GPS, between the wind and the boat traffic, before I ran out of river each run. I did notice the 32" is a great cruise prop and my gas mileage seemed considerably better and was a very smooth ride at lower speeds in very rough water.

I really don't think my "almost stock" Pmax has the ponies to push a GSE with the windshield up to a Hundred. I am guessing that it will top about 97 with enough room to let it wind up. I could get some more if I would go on a diet [249#].

I might launch it again after Church tonight if the wind dies down some...

JR