Seats, anyone use Vinyl paint/dye on them?

mxzx

The seats in my Allison are looking pretty stained and I am having a tough time getting them clean. Has anyone ever painted their vinyl seats with something like Dublicolor Vinyl spraypaint? How did it turn out?
Thanks

ROBERT CROSS

I would try the "magic-eraser" with Fantastic Spray cleaner. Try first on the side or bottom... outt'a sight.

Never had much luck with the dye or spray color, especially around h2o.

Bob
:smile

suicidealli

Marhyde or something similar use to have a dye you Rubbed In. I used it years ago on car interior.. Don't know how it would work on ally stuff.

Allison prices on new stuff is that bad.JMO

Roy

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Dublicolor and SEC make similar products. I painted/dyed my inserts on an Allison cover and it turned out well. These covers had teal inserts and they were made dark gray/light gray/off white. Even the off white covered the dark teal.

fnshrmaster

I would try the "magic-eraser" with Fantastic Spray cleaner. Try first on the side or bottom... outt'a sight.

Never had much luck with the dye or spray color, especially around h2o.

Bob
:smile
Mr.Clean Magic Erasers are awesome for interior cleaning! My interior is completely white, it made them look new. Give them a try.

Jr in Jax

Mr.Clean Magic Erasers are awesome for interior cleaning! My interior is completely white, it made them look new. Give them a try.
They are great!
I just replaced the last part of my upholstery [the rear sunpads] due to the yellowing from suntan lotion bodies on them.

mxzx

I am going to try the Magic Eraser this weekend. Unfortunately buying a new interior is not in the budget...

mxzx

Not happy with the results of using the Majic eraser, gets rid of the dirt but not the yellowing. Also looks like the color is wearing off in a few spots. My interior vinyl is a light grey with some white, not the best color to keep clean!
My old Vector came with a white interior that was always looking dirty. Changed it out to a dark grey and it looked good for the 8 years or so that I had it.

ROBERT CROSS

Went to the Marina where we store yesterday, got to talking about Spring get ready, got around to vinyl cleaning, (marine IS different), this stuff was highly recommended...just ordered from Amazon.

Worth a try? maybe:rolling eyes Guess it won't do much if you are losing color though.

Bob
:at the bar

Lotus 50

You could buy new front seat upholstery from Gwen at Hydrostream Canada, without leaving the seats there. You'd have to leave the rear seats with her to get them re-skinned. Closer to home for you than buying from Allison.

She just made a cushion for me so short people can see out when sitting in the front. Very inexpensive.

mxzx

I would assume getting the interior recovered for a grandsport would be pretty expensive, especially with the sunpad on the back. New interior just isn't in the budget this year. I paid around $800 to have the interior redone in my old Vector around 10 years ago and that was a deal.

ROBERT CROSS

As per Allison warranty packet...

Suggested cleaning kit

Ivory diswashing soap.
Fantastik Spray Cleaner
Denatured alcohol
3m Citrus Cleaner
Ammonia & hydrogen peroxide
Micro-fiber or soft cotton rags, med/soft bristle brush.

no 409, armor-all or any cleaner with a silicone base as it will damage the UV properties of the marine vinyl.

Another good source...

Bob
:laughing

Jr in Jax

The yellowing on my old upholstery would disappear temporarily after a day or two in the hot Florida sun. The suntan lotion-yellowed sun pads I replaced turned white again sitting out with my garbage cans waiting for gabage pickup day.