Seastar steering problem

catfish123

I have Seastar hydraulic steering on my Merc 280 on an Allison. I have developed "play" in it. When you take hold of the motor and push it back and forth it moves somewhat. I noticed that up near the top of the mount on the triangular part that bolts with one bolt to the motor, there are 2 other bolts that come in, one from the port side, and one from the starboard side of this piece, which hold the rest of the cylinder, etc. There is play in that area where the bolts are. There appears to be maybe 2 different kinds of washers on both sides, and maybe a bushing on each side as well. I can't find the parts on Seastar's part schematics. Anyone else ever had this issue and/or know what parts I need to take the play out of it? There is actually a little play side to side watching where the 2 washers are on each side of the triangular piece, and also a little front to back movement between the triangular piece and the piece it bolts on to. Thanks!

njj502

There is a circular threaded clamp on the steering tube on your clamp. Does it need adjusted? I cant picture what ur describing w/o seeing one right now... :)

catfish123

Thanks, but that is not the problem. The problem is where the top pivot plate bolts on to the rest of the steering components. See attached video.......it is not my motor but it is where the problem is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50CUvUV85k

Last edited:

msharp

Those are called the Stanless steel ware washer. There available. But most of the time the aluminum bracket has the most wear in it . Sometime it's possible to fit your own washers in between . Just remember to use thread lock when installing those two bolts .

alc

Catfish ,If you beep trying to drive that you will get hurt! It is wore out.yoy can replace the nylon bushings that go on each site where the slack is.but with that much play it is history. Remove the bolts on each side of it and the bolt that holds it to the tiller arm a you can remove it . I think you will find it has wore through the bushings and into the Alum. bracket.I have taken them and trashed the factory bush.and machined it and machined bronze bushings as replacements. If you have the money simply replace the cylinder w/a new SeaStar Pro . Good luck.

catfish123

I can't believe this...........my whole system with the 6345 cylinder was new around 150 hours ago, at most, and now this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

njj502

Call seastar. That's totally unacceptable. If we can build cylinders to lift 400 tons and last 10,000 hours we should surely be able to squeeze 1000 hours out of a freaking steering cylinder!