Seafoam users.......

The Cashew Kid

I was pickin me up a gal of oil yesterday and just happened to see a couple pints of Seafoam and bought it. I kinda think I want to start using it and I noticed on the can, "One pint treats 8 - 25 gallons of gasoline" " generally 1 1/2 oz per gallon" was the only instructions on the back. :confused: WTF???? How much do I need to mix? 8 - 25 gallons treated by one pint is a pretty broad range. What say ye men?

RedAllison

Jeffro you know I been using it since I got RDWII. 1oz per gallon and I'd buy the gallon jugs at NAPA for about $45. BUT that gets pretty expensive, adds up to about .35c an oz when you do the math. So I recently switched too the new Marine Formula Stabil. (It's black/dark blue and made for Ethanol as well, double the corrosion inhibitors and 4 times the fuel cleaners than the regular red variety.) Only gotta use 1oz per 5 gallons and I've also been running it in my Chevelle since Ethanol is everywhere. I buy the 32oz bottle and mix 1 oz per 5 gallons.

And if I remember right the 1oz too 5gal is actually the "storage mixture" rate. For regular use they say you can drop down too 1oz per 10gal. Either way it's considerably cheaper than Seafoam. Don't quote me but I think I paid $20 the last time I bought a 32oz bottle of the Sta-bil Marine. At 1oz-5gal that's .12c a gallon in treatment. At 1oz-10gal it's .06c a gallon. That's alot cheaper than the 1oz-1gal SeaFoam called for (.35c per).

Plus I think you're running the Merc Prem Plus oil like I am? That's a semi-syn so it's a lil cleaner than the older oils. If you run the full syn like a Pennz then it's that much cleaner as well. 87 octane is the culprit in my opinion. Gotta be careful where you get it.

http://www.sta-bil.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm

Team Sta-bil gonna KICK THEM BUTTS at Fork in a few short weeks, :gone fishing :LMAO: :twisted evil
RA

Last edited:

RedAllison

Don't know about that, I figger between the oil and keeping it clean from new there shouldn't be to much carbon in their to begin with. Since I got a gallon or so left of Seafoam I might shock the motor a time or two each season. After that I think the Merc ring free is purty cheap and a couple times a year oughta getter done.

What's your motor look like? Pull the plugs and have a looksee. My 225SS NEVER had carbon in it and all I ever ran through it was BP 93 and 100% Syn Pennz. Could still see the crosshatchings in the piston tops and cylinder walls when I sold her to JCool. I haven't pulled the plugs on this turbodiesel big mother yet (gonna be a PAIN on the bottom two!) but I'll look soon before I fire her up for the season. If it's black in there I'll start changin SUMPIN around that's for sure.

:beer:
RA

Blue Gray in PA

When I bought my Allison in 2004, the previous owner had used Seafoam whe he parked it and it sat for 7 years with a startup once a year to keep things moving. I ran the 7-year-old gas out of it before re-filling it but I never had so much as a hiccup with the original gas - I still use Seafoam for winter storage now - one can per 24 gallon tank and it works well.

J

John Richied

I also use Seafoam as a maintenance dose now and then