Schit Habbens

ROBERT CROSS

Needless to say we are a bit bummed out. At 25 miles an hour...BANG. No damage other than the skeg.
Boat ran fine no leaks no real vibrations, What would you do?

Before & after pic's of the attempted temporary fix.

pkstv

Supporting Member
Buy a new 15” housing and have a good mercury / sport master mechanic switch out the gears and drive shaft and inspect them and re seal ! Good luck !

Whaaaaat

25 my ass. That's a tough pill to swallow. I'd say that case is scrap metal. But 2.5 sporties in good shape are getting rare. It can be straightened and patched, by someone who knows what there doing, but could you ever trust it?

A lost skeg at speed can be bad news.

22R

What a bummer. I think I would do as said and look for a new case for it. Best of luck

22R

Bill Mason

It can be repaired. As stated, those cases are hard to find. That really isn’t that big of thing. May have other opinions but when I was racing several racers ran welded Skews and a lot of us ran ran welded cracked props. Just my two cents

have fun be safe

Bill Mason

Any prop shop can advise you where to take it or may even be able to repair it for you.

have fun be safe

GotMyAlly

Id want a new case. Might weigh the cost vs your insurance deductible. I have had them repaired, but never trusted them past 75 or so.

stuart gary

you need a good block of wood and hammer to straighten the skeg. Then have an aluminum heliarc welder patch it up and sand it to perfection. a regular mig will work but it wont be as good.

ROBERT CROSS

Believe me I know exactly where to avoid w/o a line in the water.
I've reached out and have folks looking for a good case, if anyone has any leads please let me know.
Bob..the sad Ally guy

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
Sorry that happened to you Bob, a sad day for sure. If you want to fix it, I have been told it can be done. I showed the pics to my Mercury mechanic here who is very knowledgeable on the sporty and he said it is fixable. Mercury sells the skeg and it can be welded on and grinded, as Stuart Gary said above. I asked him if it would be good at speed and he believes it would. If you would like to call him, he will walk you through the correct process on the phone.

(Larry Garrett, Pablo Creek Marine 904-246-9217). If you choose to do so, he said he would repair it for you, extensive experience with sportmasters. We are in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. He is a double master mercury mechanic of 40 plus years and I trust his judgement. He has worked on my motors for 35 years and I have yet to have any issues. If he said it can be done, and correctly, I believe him. I may have a lead for you on a case also if you don't want to go that route, I will let you know. Nice boat my man.

2016 Allison Grand Sport
225 Promax

wcarlyle

Supporting Member
I understand that and I will. I am just waiting on him to get back to me. He bought 4 trying to get one that suited him for his 280. The others he has are not perfect, but would work for you if he is willing to sell. He may want to keep them as spares. Call Larry, he may be able to ease your concerns about the welding. That is another skill of his. I told him you may give him a ring. Hope you get back on the water soon. Billy.

2016 Allison Grand Sport
225 Promax