Safety vests and tethers

Brian38

Probationary User
I was just wondering how most people feel about wearing a vest in these high performance boats.I have made several friendly comments to people on YouTube and on other websites that post videos of people running hard and racing each other that choose not to wear a vest or tether.I've gotten some pretty negative responses back from people about minding my own business.I have an inboard V-8 for now,and can only reach speeds of 60 mph but always put my lifevest on and use my tether.I can't imagine doing 80,90,or 100 plus without any safety gear.I really have my eyes on a SS2000 and I'm sure it will not only thrill me to death,but also scare me to little.With any luck I'll be able to afford one in a year or so.LOL!!!I've been reading alot of posts on this site as well as a few others and it seams most people here a fairly responsible about safety.I've watched some nasty accidents on various sites that happen in the blink of an eye.I guess I'd rather float on the surface unconscious,than sink to the bottom.Just my opinion.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Yep, I wear a vest most of the time. I wear it any time I'm going to be moving fast. I might not put it on for a short run under 40 or 45 mph, but if I'm going faster than that you can bet I'm zipped and buckled with a kill switch hooked up too.

whipper

Any one in my Allison wears one of my zippered and buckled jackets or they dont come for a ride. The absolutely only time I dont wear one is when the rope is on the pylon and some one is in the water skiing or tubbing because I know i wond be going over 32mph ever like that. As soon as the rope, pasangers and skis are in the boat we dont go untill the jackets are all on and the teather is atached. I cant say how fast we will go heading back to the beach so just in case a boat wants to drag or I feel the need for speed they go on. Its to late to stop and put them on once you start mooving for me because I want to open her up every chance I get.

R

Redding XB21

True story A father and son were thrown out of a Bullet last weekend, neither one had a life jacket on and natch, kill switch not hooked up. The son went out first, then the father. The father said they hit some wakes from wakeboard boats. To me, it sounded like he hit a wake which set up severe chine walking. He said the boat didn't hook. The boat kept going at idle and they were in the water about 15 minutes until someone picked them up. The son has a broken femur, now has a rod in it, and the dad is bruised all down his left side. Another boater saw the boat moving with no one in it and took care of it and started looking for them.
When I spoke to him he said "Never again will he not be wearing his life jacket" life jacket on all the time.
These were 2 very lucky guys. Shasta is a busy lake on weekends. Very lucky guys!!!!
As an aside, he is also upset that my 21 is faster than his bullet/250XS.

Jus' Giv'r

We always wear our jackets. That being said, they are not Lifeline but they are high impact watersports vests that are approved in Canada. They are Neoprene BodyGlove vests that are zippered and 4 buckles. I like they idea they are high impact but would like jackets that have leg straps. Its hard to believe a vest as tight as mine with zippers and 4 buckles would come off, but I understand that's what happens. Soooo, after all this rambling, other than Lifeline, what does everyone use? Also, could I have leg straps attached to mine with buckles, so I use them when needed? Or is that dummm?

ROBERT CROSS

:help All occupants ware a high impact vest when underway in open water.

Drive with tether snapped.

:rolling eyes Only time the rule doesn't apply for adults is cruising in speed zones under 25mph.

:embarassed Water bugs in child vests at all times, don't care who's watching...

Even the pooch has one when he comes along..:wink

Last edited:

Scott in MN

If I am going to be above an idle I have a jacket with leg straps and tether on. Too tempting to just goose it to triple digits....

F2008

Wear mine ...and kill switch unless I'm idling from one fishing spot to another.
New York State has decided I have to wear it AT ALL TIMES from Nov 1 to May 1, motor running or not unless at anchor or tied to the dock. I'll be getting a type V for standing on the deck fishing.

...... Soooo, after all this rambling, other than Lifeline, what does everyone use? Also, could I have leg straps attached to mine with buckles, so I use them when needed? Or is that dummm?
I use a Stearns SAR vest with leg straps. Not dumb, I think they're a must. Let me know if you find one of these, http://www.lifejacketsformula.com/B210.htm I want one.

msagro

We wear the Lifelines when running hard and going from place to place fishing. When running with the wife and daughter in the boat regular ski vests are ok becaus I will not be running over 5500 RPM with my 3 year old daugter in the boat no temptation is that great.

The way I see it, if I can afford a boat that runs over 90 MPH I can afford a lifejacket that will hopefully save my %$$ at that speed.

whatsamerc??

f2008, what is the price on those jackets? i looked around the site but never saw it........thanks benji

Last edited:

F2008

I'm still looking for a price and a U.S. outlet myself. When I find something, I'll let you guys know.

msagro

f2008, what is the price on those jackets? i looked around the site but never saw it........thanks bwnji
I just bought 2 new ones that are the 100 MPH jackets not the racing jackets and gave 350.00 each for them, they are gray with black and white checkerboard. Nice looking jackets, good adjustments for a range of fit and comfortable enough to wear at the lake. Call Lifeline direct they are nice people to deal with, I still have a chute jacket from my racing days but would not want to wear it all the time cruising at the lake.

Lifeline 928-669-9241

whipper

There are some 100mph coast guard aproved jackets like the ones i have from Mustag. They are 4 buckle zippered full jackets with high coller. To add safety leg straps you can do this your self. Just go to a sew shop and buy some heavy nylon strapping and buckels. Use 100lb test tuff line or dental flaws and a big arse needle and a pair of plyers to thread and sew on the straps to the bottom nylon buckel straps on your jacket.
This is over kill to what Lifeline or Safety does but if your doing it your self you may as well do it better.
If you cant sew get someone who can to sew it. The stiching is the most cridical part. 100lb test tuff line is awsome to use and so is dental Flaws. Boath are stronger than anyone will use to keep cost down in production of the race jackets. I tested mine to 240lbs hanging off the rafters in my garage bouncing up and down. Im sure that would have been more than 300lbs force of dead wieght just to check the stiching. Its not for everyone but works and then you have the leg straps so if your tossed feet first your jacket cant ride over your head.

Jus' Giv'r

Whipper - what model is your Mustang? can you post the link for the vest?
Great idea for the straps, sounds a little red-neck, thats why I like it...lol
And if I get something stuck in my teeth, I will have some dental floss handy.