"Safe" family speed poll

What is a "safe" family speed?

• Total voters

sidvishus

XB2002/260

Wife and kids (7&11).
50 is like a walk in the park, we can talk and laugh.
60 is smooth as butter and we don't have to worry about wakes.
70 is a bit tough on the backseat, if the water is good we cruise forever (though the "wind" in an XB2002 is a bit harsh).
75 is the point were the wife and daughter start feeling a bit uncomfortable.
85 is when my 7yr old (by my side, I am sitting center) feels a bit uncomfortable (I will only do this IF the water conditions are PERFECT).
??? Me, I'm still trying to find my limit...

sid

whipper

With a 4 blade on I go 80 with the family aboard In Ideal conditions. I will go 85 only with my son on board with a 3 blade. We always were 100mph life vests and those speed again are only when its calm to a ripple. My wife and doughter tell me if the GPS goes 80.1!:laughing Kids are 9 & 12. 80 is a great crusing speed you can take a wake and know if you should try the other side at that speed saftely I feel. At 70 she feels like your plowing to much and need to get the hull flying a bit more. Its 50 or 80+ theres no inbetween!:big grin James

JR

It is all in how rough it is. My Wife and I cruised from Crystal Cove in Palatka to Silver Glenn [48 miles] at 90+ and She was not holding a grab bar [even through the twisting turns] due to the glass smooth water. On Lake George with 3 footers, she is holding on at 28MPH GPS [which seems to be the GSE's optimal rough water speed].
JR

ziemer

With the 260, she can tell when we really get moving (6500-7000) and is usually quick to give me the sign to slow down. :argue

That being said, the wife usually starts hitting me once the tach is up over 6k. :cool

hack02

When carrying passengers you have a very large responsibility to keep them safe. As has been said you sure wouldn't want to harm a child and have to live with that fact. Bad things can happen at even mild speeds. I know of a GS that turned around on one of our owners and he said he swears he wasn't running but around 60 miles per hour. Threw his brothers girlfriend out of the boat breaking her pelvis on the way out. She had to be airlifted to a hospital. And remember the guy who recently was killed in Texas in a STV Euro. No it was not an A-boat, but a steering failure was the culprit. They said he was only doing around 60. Sometimes, I think our boats handle so well that we get a false feeling of security. Running 80 is so routine that we forget how guickly things can go wrong.

Darth VMAX

That is a good point Hack. I know I am guilty of getting complaicent. My boat tracks so straight that its easy to forget things can go bad quickly.

whipper

Yep dido. After the steering bolt broke on that STV I ordered the right one the next day! Thats some thing you just dont think of on a safety check is what grade of steering bolt your using.Ive since gone threw all the bolts and they grade out good,but the steering one wasnt the right one may have been at the year the motor was built but not todays Merc standard. I also check my gearcase every day because of an accadent were the guys gear case came off at 90!!! So all and all there is complacency but its also very inportant to make safty checks a habit. I think this lessens the risks greatly of some kind of failure that is a real bad one like the bolt and case thats bad!! Blow{j}out,hooking:laughing all can lead to devorce:laughing Or {worse an injured child!!:sad } James

baitcaster

I tend to agree with most on here, but my wife and son (age 9) don't like going to much over 70. Thus, If the water is good I tend to stay at that speed. If things are a little ruff I will slow down for them to 60 + range.

Personally, my boat will not hit 100mph so I could not give an honest answer to that speed on the poll, but knew I would not hit those speeds with them regardless. But when alone and the water is right, I am pushing the peddle to the floor and loving every minute if it.

bullwhipjkg

after today where my buddy hit a submerged log with his kids in the boat could of just as easyly been me and my wife and kids in my ally its hard to say but today was scary especialy when the boat hooked and i seen a splash and thought it was one of his kids he was runnin mid 60's i was runnin in the 70's passing him when it happened

Waterdigger

Re: I voted for 43

I don't mind risking my life, but with passengers it's just not worth it to me. and honestly I have more fun cruising at low speeds then driving fast anyway. more often then not when I go to the river my boat never sees above 4K. [/QUOTE]

Agree.... we all bought our A Crafts because they are fast boats,my opinon FAST & FAMILY
DON'T MIX!

Crazyoz

Banned
I would say around 60 or so for us. Our little one, Drayke-2 yrs. old loves to go fast, but to be safe we stay around 60, that is under ideal water conditions.

We have a new one now, by the time summer rolls around, he'll be 6mos. old, so we'll really have to be cautious.

As far as "suiting up", really you can have an accident at 30 mph and it could kill you, so I think you should make it a habit to always suit up and attach the lanyard, ALWAYS!!

Rick's wife, Beanie

Allison

By myself it seem's I love to turn 9k but when I was 13 my dad bought a 16" checkmate and we were on a 2hour ride running along beside my uncle and dad hit a under water tree running about 60 threw mom in the front dad in moms seat and me in the floor Dad pulled the lanyard and shut the boat off in this process we've done a 90 degree turn and into someones dock just that fast my girlfriend dont my mom much so with her I usually run in between 80 to 90,if my niece and nephew are with me 7 and 9 I usually dont even run 50..............

T-REX

REMEMBER GUYZ....SPEED KILLS....So if'in ya wanna live a long safe life in a boat...POWER IT WIT A OMC!!!:beer:

STAY SAFE BOYZ!!!:relax:

Allison

REMEMBER GUYZ....SPEED KILLS....So if'in ya wanna live a long safe life in a boat...POWER IT WIT A OMC!!!:beer:

STAY SAFE BOYZ!!!:relax:
Ya know T-Rex tells the truth about everything, but the OMC part was a Good One

T-REX

Juss like George Washington.....NEVER TELL A LIE......Juss iz SOOOOOOO much betta look'in den ole George!!!!