running out of gas?

Speedman

My enigne will be running fine at 40 mph but when I open her up, the motor just shut down, when I looked at the fuel filter it was empty? I checked for leaks and found none, could I have an E85 problem? maybe there is something floating around the bottom of the tank not letting the gas get sucked up?? any suggestions? how do I get to the bottom of the tank? I would think the fuel pump system is working as the in line filter was bone dry so wouldn't that mean it is trying to suck up fuel? Thankjs

SLOmofo

The tube that picks up fuel from the bottom of the tank had a screen on it in my 1994 XB2003. Stuff can block it off, then float around in the tank.
If your fuel system is a few years old I'd replace all the hose with new alcohol resistant stuff. The old will break down.

Running out of fuel can/will cause engine damage. Consider your self lucky you haven't seized it already.

Speedman

I think I will change all the lines and primer bulb first. on the fuel gauge sender there are 2 large bolts what are they?

SLOmofo

You could put an electric fuel pump on the line after the filter and run it's discharge into a gas container. Check for volume and if your lucky what is floating around in the tank will plug the pick up tube. When I put my fuel pump inside the gas tank, I pulled the fuel guage and then the rectangular piece that it was in. I also removed the pick up tube. I found a lot of small pieces of trash, one of those being the foil off an oil container.

I don't know what you mean by 2 bolts. Take a pic and post it.

Hotprop

Administrator
If you have the grey mercury fuel line between boat and motor I would bet that its the problem . It has a liner in it that is delaminating from the hose itself and shutting off fuel flow to the engine . I have replaced four line this week with that issue. Ethanol is to blame . Have not had any issues yet with the new mercury low premetation fuel lines .