Roughly, at what speed?

chad202

Does the XB2003 start to get stupid cause of the down force on the bow. Also, as anyone run one with 14" JP, 1/4" above and not experience problems with the boat picking the prop out of the water?

GPI Racing

Chad,

Here are some thoughts for you. When running that far back the motor has no problem lifting the bow. The gearcase always wants to do 1 of 2 things, either become a ski or a submarine. Yours is trying to surface and become a ski. (the bottom profile of the gearcase and it's angle of attack is doing this) This puts us right back to the teeter-totter and why being so far back can have some negative effects that we we're talking about in those other posts. You could raise the motor a 1/2" or so to counter the lift on the bottom of the case but then your low and midrange performance would suffer badly. No easy way out is there!? :?

Randy

Myron

I run an 03 with 14" setback with a 280, from my experience what you are feeling when the bow drops can be from a couple of different things. I personally like running a lab chopperll on the 03 for high speed,to me it bites the water better.I have felt what you guys are saying but only with ET"s and other props that tend to loose grip. I have run 107 with my trolling motor on the front. Also my gearcase helps some it is a CLE with a Bobs cone, I have massaged it over the years and it works real well. Just for giggles I am going to move my motor in and try it. I will let you know when I do it.As far as your answer I beleave things start to change at 100 and changes above 100 become more drastic quickley.

RB in NM

Chad,
I've run my xb-03 104, with basically the same setback you mention.I'll touch my hydl plate up to 1/2" above on the top end, and have not felt any hints of gittin loose with a Et copy I have. I run a sporty with baker mods and a slight skegg mod, less leading edge than stock.
Russ

wj225

My Experience

with the same offset, a 225 ProMax and 30" Jaco's Chopper was at 95 mph it gets very unnerving. The nose started to drop and the transom felt like it was rising. It was the fastest that I had ever gone, but also the scariest run. I would have loved to had a video showing the running attitude of the boat to see what it looked like. I would love for one of the faster guys to give my boat a test run to see what they think about the setup and overall attitude when running WOT.

Bill

chad202

I haven't felt anything yet either. Just wanted to know before I try to get stupid. :lol:

catfish123

I have had the nose drop like that on mine with a 225X and 13 1/4" of setback running a 30 ET at about 92 mph. Fought off the end swapping deal but I sure didn't like it.

froggy

Chad,

When I was at 14.5" offset, I could, and would, run at 1.25" above the pad with no problems. My boat would drop the nose at 97 mph and it was very unnerving. When I sanded some of the hook out of the pad, the nose stayed put nearly to the limiter (7750) with a 30 pitch ET. I didn't like the water coming up on the back deck, nor the nose in the air when fishing so I have subsequently reduced my setback and other stuff.

froggy

chad202

What ALL is gained when going from 14" to 10" and what ALL is lost if anything?

FLYING BUTCHER

gain or loss

only ran the boat twice going from 14 1/2" to ten but MOST noticable gain was 500 rpm!!! going to try to run her again tomorrow and lower plate 1/8th of an in.

atgill

CAtfish.....what kind of # did you run with 30 et.............just got my in the other day.......Im running the same set up

catfish123

With 2 people in the boat, trolling motor on, 2 batteries, and otherwise pretty light, it would hit 92 mph. With one person in the boat, same other load, it consistently hit 93+ and one time hit 94 mph even. I did not like the prop in it's stock form as it had too much bow lift in my opinion.

FLYING BUTCHER

RAN HER

Took her out again and ran the plate 1/8" lower each time starting at 1/4" below pad. The handling was better but lost top end. Not sure if I am ready to try 1/8" higher quite yet. At 1/4" below pad is where it banged 100 fully loaded. I did want to add my 2 cents on hearing over the years of guys running 03s with 260 or any other engine throwing big props at very high rpms. When ever I talked to these people I would always ask them "if you are throwing that big of prop at that high of rpm you must have that 2003 running into the teens? The answer always was no, I am at 100 or a little over. If the prop was anywhere near what they said it was and at that rpm the numbers don't match up. I find it hard to believe that many guys at all hae run their 03 to much over the century mark. I understand that Froggy has done some great bottom work and his set up is top notich. Again I think most of us stiffs are running at the century mark and that is about all they have. Badbait has about as much time testing 03s as anyone I know and tried just about every set up. I watched him run over a hundred several times. If someone outhere has better number PLEASE share your setup secrets with the rest of us. Reading the drag boat magazine most of the 02s in lake racer are running 12 second class and 100 will take that class. Just my 2 cents