Rod Tie Down Suggestions

Ltcbutch

XB 03 front decks. What are you using up front for Rod straps? Starboard side or both?

Pics?

Thanks.

champ198

I've got the XB21 2+2 and I installed the T&H rubber strap on both sides of the front deck. It's made the boat 100% more fishing friendly.

deadeye99

I have the velcro straps. Forget the name. They came with ones for the reel end and the tips but you don't need both. The console keeps the tips in place. Bob

Attachments

jimbob88

Deadeye, don't the tips scratch the console. Do you have a mat or rubber piece glued down for this? Looking for something as well. Less holes the better!
Champ- what's holding the tips? Rough water let that rubber bounce too much? Jim

BASS BUM

i have a 2000 03 and it came from allison with the type that champ has. they are on both sides of the front deck and 1 behind the passenger seat on the back deck. i have never had a problem with the rods even in rough water.i assume the came from allison, they were on the boat when i picked it up new from key at fishen world. talk to bill at allison. i am sure he can get the ones you need.

mark

champ198

Jimbob, the rod tips go down beside each console. There is a velcro strap already there I could use, but the rods just extend over the rod trays on each side of the boat. The XB2003 is a little different layout. The rubber straps seem to do fine in holding everything down. I do have to watch to make sure I don't lay the trolling motor down on a rod that too far up the deck if that makes sense.

strip

I have 1 rubber bungee on the drivers side. I usually have about 5 rods strapped under that one. The tips do contact the console but have not thus far caused any scratches. I would not put any on the pass side for a couple of reasons. 1 you have potential for rod dammage by the troller hitting it, the lid to the rod locker could get into them, and you have to walk through there and it is likely you could stumble and step on them. Also, having them only on 1 side helps save deck space.

MGEOD

I actually strap them to both sides. No scratches on console as it on the texture. I have thought about putting a piece of rubber there just to make sure. Lot easier to get glue off than deal with scratches

hirk

Retractable seatbelt style on the dr. side,fits flush mount into the floor,won't fly open in rough water and keeps tension on the rods,the cats meow.

deadeye99

They don't scratch the textured channel next to the console. I like the retractable idea but they were not available when I set my boat up. Bob

GotMyAlly

I had the same rubber bungee Champ posted above on the starboard side of my 03. Never needed more than one. Like Strip said, if you put them on the port side too....they'll just be in the way.

champ198

I have the ones champ has as well!! No problems at all!! I like em!!:gone fishing
You wouldn't thinks something so inexpensive could make such a huge positive impact on my fishing just by keeping the rods secure on the front deck. :big grin

jimbob88

I have the bungee style on the starboard side like champ. Was too concerned about scratching that face next to the console that I kept putting the rods away! Got the velcro style but didn't install. Same problem. with rod tips I figured. Just don't wanna mar up my baby.

thegoop

I just got 2 of the 6" Velcro straps from Bill. How and where should I mount them? I was going to use both on the front starboard deck thinking I needed two straps for 2-3 rods. I recall there was one hacked up single on both the front and rear deck when I got the boat.

Will one strap hold 2-3 rods or should I use both straps together on the front deck? I didn't buy any hardware and I'm thinking I need to use big plastic washers to prevent tearing and rod damage. Can anyone comment on the factory install and how you load your rods in these straps? Thanks.

90 5.0

I had the bungee straps on my 03. Could easily have 4 rods on each side no issue.

Never stepped on a rod.

I had the Velcro style on boats when they first came out. They are ok but not as good as the bungee or runner style.

My bullet had the velcros when I got it, went straight to acadamy and got new straps.

hirk

Colin just use 1 strap on the starboard side just in front of the lid hinge, angle it to follow the rail curve and the rods will stay tucked toward the rail,the strap will cover the rods about 6" in front of the handles.